tune the stepper movement so 0.25" = 0.25"

More
02 Dec 2011 05:58 #15273 by Carl Harden
I have the controller board and the stepper set so the work to the input desired!

Now when I tell z axis to drill 0.25" it acts like it is going to China:silly:

On turbo Cad 5 there was a place to tweak a movement ratio and it was trial and error so when you told the x axis to move .5 in it would move that amont. In the config program it has a place to tell it a ratio but i thought that was for the full, 1/2,1/4, 1/8 step setting for the controller board setting. I am using 1/2 stepping so I have a 2 in that box . Is this correct and or is there another place to set this for accuracy movement;)

Carl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2011 06:42 #15274 by cmorley
I assume you are using stepconf.
the entry 'Driver Microstepping' shoulld be set to 2 for 1/2 stepping.
What were the rest of the settings?
Is your step driver set right?

Also you say it moves the wrong amount but does it move consistently?
There could be other problems besides wrong scale setting ( but at this point it is most likely)

More
02 Dec 2011 16:07 #15283 by Carl Harden
The step driver is shunted right for 1/2 stepping my lead screw pitch is 20/inch no pulley used. the motor steps per rev 200. at the bottom of the page is stated axis scale 8000 steps/inch.

What I See of this software I like ! and I am sure this can be corrected I just need help finding where to do it .

Thanks

More
02 Dec 2011 17:08 #15286 by cncbasher
ok so 200 steps per inch x screw pitch x step = 8000 is correct ( 200 x20 x 2 )

are you using stepconf , there is a test axis page so you can test distance travel etc
is their some other influence creaping in .

is this ok and tested in stepconf ? and only giving problem with gcode ?

More
02 Dec 2011 19:36 #15292 by BigJohnT
If your drive really puts out 2 micro steps per step a command for 400 steps should move the shaft exactly one revolution. So a G91 G1 X0.05 issued in the MDI window if your config is set up in inches should move the shaft exactly one revolution, if not then your scale is not correct.

John

More
02 Dec 2011 19:39 #15293 by Carl Harden
cncbasher & cmorley , You gave me an idea how to test the accuracy of movement inside the stepconfig!
placing a pencil in the router and heavy paper on the work area use the test program to move different amounts from point 0 forward and back

1/4 ;1/2; 2 3/4 for both the x y axis and it was good! took the router off and place a pencil to draw up and down.

I found that for 1/4" it moved 1/2" Why is it doing this ? I checked the shunts inside the controller and it is jumped correctly! So I changed the 2 for 1/2 step to 1 for full step and WAHOO! it is 1/4" for 1/4"

This solves my problem. Either I have a short on the jumpers setting to cause it to full step ( I doubt) or there is someting causing a bad setting in the stepconfig.

I can work with this error now I know how to over come it!

Thanks guy for helping.

More
02 Dec 2011 21:06 #15297 by BigJohnT
If you take the shunt off does it still full step? I doubt it is anything to do with the stepconf wizard or millions would be screaming at us :)

John

More
09 Dec 2011 16:37 #15519 by RayJr
You might want to check your shunts.
I have had many of the very small one loose their internals (the metal part), and just become a worthless piece of plastic.

Just a thought!

Ray

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it"

Albert Einstein

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds