Tuning problems

More
07 Dec 2011 21:02 - 08 Dec 2011 02:28 #15462 by submicro
Replied by submicro on topic Re:Tuning problems
Great that did it thanks a bunch! OK. now I have a new problem. When I start the program it runs so slow, and it sounds horrible! I had it running great in stepconf. ???????

Sorry Harry I missed your post I was having limit issues, but those are resolved and I'm off to new problems as stated above.:unsure:

After getting the limits figured and the scale, it's maddening I'm so close to being done..... When I run a program the axis move slow and vibrate and are quite loud! My setup is an X2 mini mill with ballscrew concversion. Keling 4030 drivers and keling C10 breakout board. Drivers set to half stepping and so is AXIS.
Last edit: 08 Dec 2011 02:28 by submicro.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2011 08:57 #15469 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:Tuning problems

When I run a program the axis move slow and vibrate and are quite loud!

Does the machine go to where it is commanded or does it lose steps?
On the mdi page is the speed override set lower than 100%
Have you checked the power supply is the proper voltage and amps?
Are the drivers set for the proper amps?
On the MDI if you enter...
F10
G01 X0Y0
G01 X2
G01 Y2
G01 X0Y0
F20
G01 X2
G01 Y2
G01 X0Y0
F30
G01 X2
G01 Y2
G01 X0Y0
Does the machine make the proper moves at speed, end up where it started and sound O.K.?
Most steppers can vibrate at certain low rpms.

Rick G

More
08 Dec 2011 13:57 #15479 by Harry_Y
Replied by Harry_Y on topic Re:Tuning problems
submicro wrote:

Great that did it thanks a bunch! OK. now I have a new problem. When I start the program it runs so slow, and it sounds horrible! I had it running great in stepconf. ???????

Sorry Harry I missed your post I was having limit issues, but those are resolved and I'm off to new problems as stated above.:unsure:

After getting the limits figured and the scale, it's maddening I'm so close to being done..... When I run a program the axis move slow and vibrate and are quite loud! My setup is an X2 mini mill with ballscrew concversion. Keling 4030 drivers and keling C10 breakout board. Drivers set to half stepping and so is AXIS.

I know when I ran my system in half stepping with my old software it sounded bad as well
(especially at low speeds), going to quarter stepping does make it sound a lot more pleasant.

But my understanding is as you move from half to quarter
stepping you may loose a little torque on the stepper motors.

More
08 Dec 2011 21:39 #15503 by submicro

Does the machine make the proper moves at speed, end up where it started and sound O.K.?
Most steppers can vibrate at certain low rpms.

Rick Yes it does except at low speed it vibrates a lot. I think I'm gonna try 1/4 stepping n see how that works out. thanks

Harry I think your right
thanks
\

Thanks to everyone for the help, I'll post an update after I try 1/4 stepping.:unsure:

SubMicro
A.K.A Robert Willis

More
15 Dec 2011 17:53 #15709 by submicro
OK well, moving to quarter step did quiet things down. However now I seem to be losing steps. Before in half step It was dead on 1" = 1" but now it's obviously losing steps. Sometimes it's right or close to it. Others it's way off. Especially when making rapid movements. I also ran into another problem, it seems I've got some binding in my Y axis due to the ballscrew not being perfectly horizontal. Hopefully fixing that will help alot.

I wanted to ask if anyone new how to properly set up the acceleration, ramping, velocity?

SubMicro

More
15 Dec 2011 18:27 #15710 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Tuning problems
submicro wrote:

I wanted to ask if anyone new how to properly set up the acceleration, ramping, velocity?

Well if your loosing steps your acceleration is too high or voltage too low or binding.

Have you seen the stepper testing section in the Diagnostics chapter of the Integrators manual?

John

More
15 Dec 2011 19:32 #15711 by submicro
Yes I figured some of it was from binding, I'm addressing that issue today! I'm running @ 36v 2.8a. I've read through the manuals, but they seem to me, to be written for someone with alot more experience with this stuff than me!
I'll go back and re-RTFM......

SubMicro

More
16 Dec 2011 09:39 #15723 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:Tuning problems
Get all your mechanical issues solved first ..binding, loose couplers, ways etc.
Then retest.
At first make your adjustment large say reduce acceleration by 25% see if that helps.
Also reduce velocity you can loose steps by setting the velocity and or the acceleration too high.
The gradually bring the velocity up till you find your best speed, same with acceleration.

When you find the best combination back off from both the acceleration and the velocity to give yourself a margin of error for working in the real world with a load on the machine.

Rick G

More
16 Dec 2011 11:06 #15726 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Tuning problems
submicro wrote:

Yes I figured some of it was from binding, I'm addressing that issue today! I'm running @ 36v 2.8a. I've read through the manuals, but they seem to me, to be written for someone with alot more experience with this stuff than me!
I'll go back and re-RTFM......

SubMicro

If you think the manuals are written for an experienced user you should look at the ones we had a few years ago, they were precisely accurate and written in programmer speak. It took me years to translate them from programmer speak to redneck. The g code section is currently getting a make over as it is scattered out a bit...

Yea, 36v won't push much acceleration in a stepper system. My plasma uses 65v to get some good acceleration and speed from my steppers using Gecko 203v drives.

John

More
16 Dec 2011 15:50 #15730 by submicro
Thanks for the tips guys. As soon as this redneck gets the binding issue finnished, I'll do like you suggested. Thanks again Ya'all!;)

Time to create page: 0.315 seconds