Router-lathe, one rotary axis

More
08 Apr 2012 17:39 #19027 by TLA
I'm building a router-lathe, using two steppers: one for the x-axis, one to control spindle rotation. The router depth of cut (z-axis) will be managed manually (for now). Basically, I want a system to cut large, long spirals and threads.

Currently, I'm planning to use an Arduino to control motion, but I'd really like to use a computer and g-code instead, to expand its flexibility and not have to hand-code every move.

My question: can Linuxcnc be configured to do this? Can I configure a system with only two axis, one of them a rotary?

I installed the liveCD to a Virtualbox VM to explore the config, but it hung as soon as I tried to configure a system with just an x and w axis. (or maybe it just didn't like being in a VM?)

Is this do-able, or am I heading in the wrong direction. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2012 19:22 #19028 by cncbasher
short answer is yes , linuxcnc is totaly configurable in that respect , in an X Z lathe then the rotary around z would be axis C
when configuring the ini file you need to keep the axis order as xyzabc , so in your case your using 0 2 5 , your router would become the x axis ( as in a lathe tool ) , and the main longitudal is axis z

i'm not familiar in setting up the axis c in linuxcnc , so no doubt some one else can take the reigns there , their will probably be some tweaking needed to the hal files to probably disable some soft limits to the c axis ,
to enable continous turns past 360 degrees , to enable you to cut the scroll , but other than that , i dont see any major problem .

More
08 Apr 2012 19:41 #19029 by BigJohnT
You can configure up to 9 axis with no limitation for how few. Typically XYZ are the primary linear axes and ABC is the rotary axes and UVW are the second set of linear axes.

John

More
09 Apr 2012 04:18 #19040 by TLA
Thanks! I got emc2 sim running in Virtualbox, and it's no longer crashing.

I made the following changes to my ini file:

[DISPLAY]
GEOMETRY = XZC

[TRAJ]
AXES =6
COORDINATES = X Z C
HOME = 0 0 0

Removed all but AXIS_0 and AXIS_2
Added AXIS_5 with WRAPPED_ROTARY=1

Am I on the right track?

At first, I was assuming that I only needed two axis, since that's how many steppers I'm using. I just realized that even though the x axis will be set manually, it needs to be represented in the program. Without it, there's no cut. Thanks for the great info -- it just took me a while to understand all you said.

More
09 Apr 2012 07:14 #19047 by cncbasher
yes your on the right track

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds