Configuration - Absolute newb!

More
24 Jun 2012 13:42 #21249 by nigbing
Hi,

Can I say at the outset that I'm not an engineer in any sense of the word. I have no knowledge of CNC or the associated language but I'm keen to learn....if only to get my newly acquired RoutOut Z90L to work to allow me to exploit what skills I have in graphics!

The previous owner of the machine seems to have fixed limits which do not seem to allow the full use of the cutting bed and they seem to be preventing me from cutting larger items using the full extent of the bed. I've compiled my G-Code using VCarve Pro and I'm presented with the following error message when I attempt to runit "Program exceeds machine minimum of axis X" and will not allow me to machine the item, even if I click "Run Anyway!

What is wrong please? Again, please bear in mind that I am not an engineer or for that matter a computer whiz! I have attached a screen shot showing the GUI.

Help...please!

Kind regards

Nigel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2012 13:58 #21250 by cncbasher
can you post your configuration ini file

More
24 Jun 2012 14:03 #21251 by nigbing
I think that this is it! :blush:

I'm also attempting to attach the screenshot I mentioned in my first post!

Many thanks!

Nigel

File Attachment:

File Name: RoutOutCNC.ini
File Size:2 KB
Attachments:

More
24 Jun 2012 14:07 #21252 by nigbing
I'll try again...
Attachments:

More
24 Jun 2012 14:20 - 24 Jun 2012 14:34 #21253 by cncbasher
open the ini file for example using gedit and change the value of MAX LIMIT from 1000 to say 2000
( i presume your using metric )
axis 0 = x
axis 1 = y

you can adjust the values to real ones of course

i notice it's saying the error is on minimum limit and not max , are you setting your zero point before cutting
if not then that would give you an error as the minimum

it's normal for zero to be for example a corner of the workpeice

it may not be a error on your limits , but just a set up before initializing to cut your gcode

sent you a pm
dave
Last edit: 24 Jun 2012 14:34 by cncbasher.

More
24 Jun 2012 16:21 #21265 by andypugh
nigbing wrote:

What is wrong please?

It looks like that part will fit easily in the machine limits, so the problem is likely to be that the part coordinates are falling outside the working coordinates of the machine.
(The dotted red box in the display shows the machine limits)
What you need to do is probably jog the cutter to where you want to start the part, and then use the "touch off" button to set that to X=0 Y=0. You probably also want to move the spindle down to just touch the top of the work and then touch-off that to Z=0
You will probably then see the preview in the display jump into the middle of the bounding box.

More
24 Jun 2012 18:05 #21269 by nigbing
Chaps, thank you all for your help! I've now resolved the issue and it wasn't anything to do with the bed limits I'm embarrassed to say; it was all down to the material size and how I was proposing to machine it.

Across the X co-ordinate, my finished piece was to be say 195mm. I was cutting it out using a 6mm end mill on an outside profile tool-path. My material size therefore needed to be specified as a minimum of 207mm (195 + 6 + 6) across its X axis but in set-up, I had set it as 205mm, hence it showed as 2mm outside the limits of the material!

A silly mistake but one I've have learned a great deal from, thanks to you chaps and to sitting down and actually thinking about the problem! Please don't let this demonstration of my stupidity stop you from attempting to help me again in the future; I'll almost certainly need it!

Once again, thank you so much for your help!

Regards,

Nigel :blush:

More
24 Jun 2012 19:03 #21273 by andypugh
nigbing wrote:

My material size therefore needed to be specified as a minimum of 207mm (195 + 6 + 6) across its X axis but in set-up, I had set it as 205mm, hence it showed as 2mm outside the limits of the material!

I think you still might have the wrong end of the stick, as LinuxCNC has absolutely no idea how big your material is, or where it is. It just waves the cutter about and doesn't care if it is material, air, or the machine itself that it is cutting through.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds