Startup Error + Axis limit configuration

More
07 Sep 2012 20:53 - 09 Sep 2012 20:31 #24047 by Andreas
Hello all!

Error looks like this:

I know it says no input device was detected, but the machine controller was connected to the computer like it always is, any thoughts?

Also I cant seem to get the configuration for the limit switches right.
I have 3axis and 3limit switches, I would like to use the switches as people use their homeing switches, to be able to press `home` and automatically `zero` all the axis, but in the maximum limit mode, how do I do this?
The switches works all the way into the software, all I need to do is to link the signals in the configuration. From what I can understand in the configuration guide, what I need is something like this:

net X-limit parport.0.pin-10-in-not
net Y-limit parport.0.pin-11-in-not
net Z-limit parport.0.pin-12-in-not

my limits are connected like this by the way:
pin 10 = x limit
pin 11 = y limit
pin 12 = z limit

Thanks in advance!
Last edit: 09 Sep 2012 20:31 by Andreas. Reason: Weird and confusing language corrected :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2012 21:16 - 07 Sep 2012 21:19 #24048 by BigJohnT
Last edit: 07 Sep 2012 21:19 by BigJohnT.

More
07 Sep 2012 21:22 - 07 Sep 2012 21:24 #24049 by Andreas
That is amazing, so fast and right on the spot, when I read your answer I understood the problem, I must have forgotten to connect the jog-joystick! When it said input device, I thought it meant the controller! :blush:

I cant try if it works with the joystick connected now but I bet that was the problem.

Thanks John, but do you have any tips regarding my other problem?
Last edit: 07 Sep 2012 21:24 by Andreas.

More
07 Sep 2012 21:57 #24050 by BigJohnT
In your ini file you need to set up homing for each axis.

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/ini_config...d_sub_axis_section_a

start by setting home is shared and the search and latch velocity etc. and leave for last the home sequence once your happy with each axis homing.

John

More
09 Sep 2012 00:24 #24080 by Andreas
Now that I have updated to 2.5.1 I tried to start the program with the joystick connected, it didn't start though! Will post error picture tomorrow.

Also I saw in the new version that you could setup more properties in the wizard, so I thought I'd do that, but it didn't recognize my config file(?) this worked fine before but now I have to make a new configuration? Can't modify the old one? Its not visible when I try to open the file.

Regarding the homeing, dont I have to link the signals in any way (?), will it work after I fill out these values as the site that you linked was about?
I understand I must do it for every axis, but I dont quite understand how to fill everything out:

HOME = 1000 // If my machine is 1000mm on that axis (limit)
HOME_OFFSET = 0.0 // ?
HOME_SEARCH_VEL = any positive value?
HOME_LATCH_VEL = any positive value?
HOME_FINAL_VEL = any positive value?
HOME_USE_INDEX = NO
HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS = NO
HOME_IS_SHARED = <n>
HOME_SEQUENCE = <n>
VOLATILE_HOME = 0

More
09 Sep 2012 11:08 - 09 Sep 2012 11:10 #24094 by BigJohnT
There is more info on setting up homing here:

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/ini_homing.html

Did you start with a Stepconf Wizard generated configuration? If so and you picked the inputs then the wizard made the connections for you.

If your manually editing the files then you will have to net the parallel port pin to the home pin for each axis. After starting your config open up Show Hal Configuration and examine the pins to see the names.

John
Last edit: 09 Sep 2012 11:10 by BigJohnT.

More
09 Sep 2012 18:25 #24098 by Andreas
Ok John. I did a totally new wizard config, I have to manually edit the joystick etc later but I'm happy if I can get this to work like it did before for now.

I get a "RTAPI: ERROR: Unexpected realtime delay on task 1"

And I am unable to move any axis etc!
I have read about the RTAPI error and from what I can understand it has to do with the BASE_PERIOD in the .ini file. But the thing is, I ran the latency test and stressed the CPU etc - still RTAPI error. I also looked in my old .ini file (the one I canĀ“t get to work with the new version) and copied the BASE_PERIOD value to the new .ini - RTAPI error persist! Even though it worked fine before with that value!

For reference wizard put 31250 and my last setup had 25000 both BASE_PERIOD values in the .ini file.

More
09 Sep 2012 20:05 #24102 by andypugh
The output seems to suggest that you are running EMC 2.4.6, which isn't very up-to-date.
So, perhaps you updated Linux instead?

What does uname -r say?

More
09 Sep 2012 20:29 #24106 by Andreas
I think I made myself unclear, I updated to LinuxCNC 2.5.1 after I took that screenshot, its now definitely 2.5.1 (says so when I start the program even)

More
10 Sep 2012 10:50 #24122 by andypugh
Andreas wrote:

I think I made myself unclear, I updated to LinuxCNC 2.5.1 after I took that screenshot, its now definitely 2.5.1 (says so when I start the program even)

I am still curious about your kernel version (uname -r)

If the upgrade to 2.5.1 was associated with a kernel change then it might be that the previous kernel suited your hardware better.

You could try disabling hyperthreading in the BIOS.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds