Tool Table problem

More
07 Dec 2012 01:19 #27320 by LAIR82
Tool Table problem was created by LAIR82
Hello Guys,

We have started to run some full production on our cincinnati milacron project and have noticed something very peculiar.

When we open our tool table from linux and make any edits and then hit reload or reread it is putting semicolons at the top of the tool.tbl file. The only reason I noticed this was because the operator said the table was starting to get sluggish when trying to open and make adjustments. I tried to open the .tbl file and when it finally opened I realized there was over 550,000 lines at the top of the file starting with a semicolon,( thats right 550,000 lines) before the data for the tools. I wrote a new .tbl file and dumped into my configuration and erased the old one along with the tool.tbl.bak file yesterday when this happened. Today the operator came and said it was doing it again and sure enough the .tbl file was back up to over 575,000 lines of semicolons and then my tool info. That's when I realized that when hitting the reload or reread on the tooledit page it was adding them to the .tbl file.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Rick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2012 01:32 - 07 Dec 2012 01:34 #27323 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Tool Table problem
What are you using to edit the file?

Are you opening the tool table with an editor while LinuxCNC is running?

What version of LinuxCNC and what interface are you using?

John
Last edit: 07 Dec 2012 01:34 by BigJohnT.

More
07 Dec 2012 01:35 #27324 by LAIR82
Replied by LAIR82 on topic Tool Table problem
I have it setup for the tooledit program for editing, and we are using 2.6.0pre with the AXIS interface and the fanuc style table patch from drogge.

More
07 Dec 2012 01:52 #27326 by BigJohnT
That does sound like a bug in the patch. What happens if you open the file with gedit and save it then reload?

John

More
07 Dec 2012 01:56 #27327 by LAIR82
Do you mean setting up my INI to use gedit to do the edits instead of the tooledit gui ?

With the .tbl file opened with gedit to look at the file, I can make changes and save them then reload in the gui and have no issues, it appears it is when the gui modifies the .tbl file is when there are issues.

More
07 Dec 2012 02:28 #27331 by LAIR82
Do we have to have the front and back angle, diameter and orientation info in our table? We have all of that blank right now.

More
07 Dec 2012 03:01 #27336 by BigJohnT
In a normal install you can configure what columns you wish to see in the ini file.

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/gui/tooledi...ml#_column_selection

That does sound like a bug in the patch... at least you know that you can use gedit until the bug is fixed. I assume you will contact the author of the patch with the information about the bug.

John

More
25 Jan 2013 02:10 #29100 by LAIR82
Hello Guys,

After a couple of weeks with consistant run time on our machine, we have realized that there isnt a bug in this patch it is actually just a discrepancy between the wiki info for the tool table and how the patch actually works.

The wiki states that "• ; - opening semicolon, no data following", however, and this might just a misunderstanding on my part, but my tool.tbl file started a with a single semicolon and then on the next line the tool info followed. With the patch though it cannot have that opening semicolon or everytime you save or update from tooledit gui it will start adding the multiple lines of semicolons until it stops the computer dead in its tracks. The only reason we found this out was because my operator was going in and deleting the semicolons at the end of the shift everyday, and one day he deleted all off them and didn't leave the starting semicolon. Since then we haven't had one single issue with the tool table or Linux.

Sorry it took so long to get this info out.

Thanks

Rick

More
25 Jan 2013 02:38 #29101 by BigJohnT
I'm just glad you sorted it out. Did you update the wiki to be more informative?

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?BasicSteps

John

More
25 Jan 2013 09:00 #29108 by Kirk_Wallace
Replied by Kirk_Wallace on topic Tool Table problem
I seem to recall at one time the opening semi-colon was required. This may be an artefact from the days of paper tape.

I would think the editor or patch should be able to tolerate or correct malformed data files. This sounds like something that needs attention. The patch has a lot of other activity going on related to it, so there may be a fix or the author needs to know there is a problem. I'll test the problem on my installation.
--
Kirk Wallace
www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigJohnT

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds