New Parallel Port Card - LinuxCNC don´t work

More
11 Jan 2013 00:56 #28556 by pfefferhaxen
Hello

I´ve got a computer with no onboard parallel port, so I ordered a parallel port pci card.
Till it was delivered, I installed Ubuntu 10.04 and some programmes.
Today the pci card was delivered. I installed it in the computer and it was detected in Ubuntu 10.04 in the device manager, which I installed manually before. The parallel port also works with a old printer.

When I´m opening LinuxCNC, the Controller and the stepper motors don´t react.

What should I do? Maybe Linuxcnc doesn´t know that there is a parallel port since today, how can I update the Linuxcnc-parallel-port-list?

I read this (click) but I don´t really understand it. I use this (click) parallel port pci card.

Is there someone who can explain me slowly, what I have to do.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2013 01:20 #28557 by ArcEye
Hi

I read this (click) but I don´t really understand it

You will have to specify what it is you don't understand. PCI parport cards are not plug and play with Linuxcnc, you have to establish their port addresses and tell HAL what they are.

Start in the FAQ at Installing and do what it says, run lspci -vv and find the port addresses and the chip type.

Then see if you can establish which address is the port and which is the register.

Connecting up in .hal file then shows you how to modify the entry in the .hal file to tell HAL what the port address is

If you get stuck, come back and post the relevant bit from the lspci output so we can see what it is.

regards

More
11 Jan 2013 14:41 #28576 by mhaberler
this parallel card uses the NetMOS chipset - please verify by looking at the chips

if it is: pull it out and junk it *now* - this is not going to work, you're just wasting your time with broken hardware

-m

www.logilink.eu/Parallel.htm - search for netmos

More
11 Jan 2013 15:22 #28580 by ArcEye

this parallel card uses the NetMOS chipset - please verify by looking at the chips
if it is: pull it out and junk it *now* - this is not going to work, you're just wasting your time with broken hardware

In fact it is only the 9805 and 9815 chips that gave real problems, I have 3 Netmos based cards working quite happily with stepper systems.

Let's see the lspci output before giving up, those early chips thankfully don't get used these days. :)

More
11 Jan 2013 20:57 #28587 by andypugh

I _thought_ that was just a problem with EPP mode?

If the card is a no-hoper then instead of a Parallel port card it might be worth looking at
www.retrofit-plus.at/MESA/Mesa-5i25-Supe...rch&searchparam=5i25
Which is about 4x the price for significantly more flexibility and capability.

More
12 Jan 2013 22:41 #28627 by ArcEye
Andy Pugh wrote:

I _thought_ that was just a problem with EPP mode?

You are right, I think all the NetMos chips have a problem with EPP mode, making them unsuitable for Mesa cards etc and Gecko 540 drivers.

The early 9005 and 9815 chips had another problem, in that they would often appear as disabled to the system unless you went through a standard kernel driver loading sequence (ppdev, lp and parport_pc)
This enabled them, and then you had to remove the drivers so that they did not clash with the hal_parport driver.

I seem to recall in trying to get them to work several years ago, I only had to do this once to get one card enabled and recognised by the system thereafter.
Another card however seemed to require it every re-boot.

regards

More
12 Jan 2013 22:55 - 12 Jan 2013 22:57 #28628 by pfefferhaxen
Here´s the way I solved the problem:

At first, I run lspci -vv in the terminal. I took the first parport-output-adress (0xcc00) which was displayed and copy it into the StepConf-Wizard (1st side - Basic Machine information) in the "First Parport Base Adress"-field and replace the standard-lpt-adress.

Now it is working.
I have no problems with the compatibility of this lpt-pci-card and Ubuntu 10.04.

Maybe it will help someone B)

Thanks.
Last edit: 12 Jan 2013 22:57 by pfefferhaxen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigJohnT

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds