very basic newbie question

More
21 Jan 2013 07:38 #28895 by ericg
Hi, I'm in the process of making my first CNC mill and just took possession of a cheap TB6560 3 axis blue board, I set it up as per info found here, did the latency check etc, ran Linuxcnc and can manually step the attached stepper motors forward and reverse, so far Ok, I moved the z axis slightly, touched off then homed all, OK, redid home all and it tells me the axis are homed, OK, tried to run the basic gcode that is there for the LinuxCNC label and the system says it cannot run the program because the axis are not homed???

Please remember I have not a clue regarding CNC machines, this is a whim project for me to do during my teaching break, any help and guidance would be appreciated, and yes I am reading the getting started manual, but at my level of knowledge even that is a struggle for me.

cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2013 17:08 #28907 by cncbasher
can you attach your hal and ini configuration files
I presume you have limit and home switchs fitted

do you have any error messages ?

More
22 Jan 2013 15:02 #28940 by ericg
Replied by ericg on topic very basic newbie question
Thanks for the response, problem was with my lack of understanding, I didn't realise I had to home each azis separately, I don't have limit or home switches fitted as I'm in the middle of building the hardware. I just wanted to test out the PSU/Controllerboard/stepper motors, all good now, I think my feet are on the right path.

Thanks again

More
22 Jan 2013 17:35 #28948 by cncbasher
don't worry we all had to start somewhere , welcome to Linuxcnc and do post again if you have questions or do not understand something .
you can get away running Linuxcnc in sim mode , without any hardware , just pick one of the sim configs

the getting started guide should cover most of what you require at this stage .

Dave

More
22 Jan 2013 21:09 #28966 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic very basic newbie question

Thanks for the response, problem was with my lack of understanding, I didn't realise I had to home each azis separately, I don't have limit or home switches fitted as I'm in the middle of building the hardware. I just wanted to test out the PSU/Controllerboard/stepper motors, all good now, I think my feet are on the right path.

Thanks again

While your building and testing I find it handy to add NO_FORCE_HOMING = 1 to the TRAJ section.

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/ini_config...d_sub_traj_section_a

John

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds