stepper motors blown?

More
23 Jan 2013 23:57 #29030 by Candice
Hello,

I am having trouble with two of my stepper motors (x and z). Last week we were able to successfully work the 7x7 machine. However, half way through, the x motor stopped spinning. I touched the motor and it was super hot- the y and z motor were not hot at all. Now the x motor will not spin at all. The z motor barely spins. Is there a test I can do to see if these motors are working? I have a TB6560 control board btw.

thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2013 08:55 #29055 by danemc
Replied by danemc on topic stepper motors blown?
disconnect them and check the dc resistance of each coil. if it doesn't match the other coils (assuming all the motors on the machine are the same) something is wrong. i'd give it about %10 up or down before i single anything out.

More
24 Jan 2013 18:50 #29074 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic stepper motors blown?
Hello,

Many steppers motors do run hot.
With the power off do the motors and the axis they drive spin freely?
With the power on are the motors hard to turn?

When testing be sure not to plug or unplug any cables with the power on!

Rick G

More
24 Jan 2013 21:13 #29082 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic stepper motors blown?
Does that TB6560 board have some way to set the current?

John

More
24 Jan 2013 22:47 #29093 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic stepper motors blown?

I am having trouble with two of my stepper motors (x and z). Last week we were able to successfully work the 7x7 machine. However, half way through, the x motor stopped spinning. I touched the motor and it was super hot- the y and z motor were not hot at all. Now the x motor will not spin at all. The z motor barely spins. Is there a test I can do to see if these motors are working? I have a TB6560 control board btw.

Stepper motors do run hot, they are safe up to something like 80C, which will burn you.

Try connecting the X axis motor to the Y-axis terminals on the driver board, this should tell you if it is the stepper or the driver.
Then see if the X axis driver can move the Y axis motor.

Do _not_ do this with the TB6560 powered up. Disconnecting motors from a powered TB6560 tends to blow the driver chips.

Steppers take maximum current when stopped. It seems odd that one motor would be that much hotter than the others.

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds