what config do i use for 4 pins to 4 phases?

More
14 Mar 2013 09:54 #31382 by insanegenius
I have 3 stepper motor's and each has 4 wires. They need a pulse per wire for each phase. So, from the parallel port I would like for the X axis a pulse being sent from pin 2 then pin 3, then pin 4, then pin 5 for forward stepping. (And in reverse order for reverse) The same thing would work for the y and z axis. 4 pulses through 4 pins per step motor.
What configuration do I start with or use?
thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2013 16:00 #31393 by ArcEye
Hi

You are probably thinking too deeply on this, they are just bipolar steppers, without the centre tap in the windings or 2 separate coils as per the 6 and 8 wire versions.
As most people would connect the latter ones in series anyway, for maximum torque, makes no difference.

The link shows common colours for wires and the connections found on all common bipolar drivers

www.linengineering.com/contents/stepmoto...ing_Connections.aspx

regards

More
15 Mar 2013 00:04 #31415 by andypugh

I have 3 stepper motor's and each has 4 wires. They need a pulse per wire for each phase. So, from the parallel port I would like for the X axis a pulse being sent from pin 2 then pin 3, then pin 4, then pin 5 for forward stepping. (And in reverse order for reverse) The same thing would work for the y and z axis. 4 pulses through 4 pins per step motor.
What configuration do I start with or use?
thanks

Are you expecting to power the motors directly from the parallel port, or is there extra hardware that you haven't mentioned?

If the motors only have 4 wires then you have to use a bipolar drive, there is no choice, and those almost all use step and direction pulses from the parport (or other interface)

More
15 Mar 2013 04:30 #31432 by insanegenius
From the spec sheets it looks like these are unipolar motors. I am just taking the output of the parallel port pins and amplifying the signal to 12v dc. Is there a setting in linuxcnc for this? Or am I doing something major wrong here?

More
15 Mar 2013 05:37 #31433 by andypugh

From the spec sheets it looks like these are unipolar motors. I am just taking the output of the parallel port pins and amplifying the signal to 12v dc. Is there a setting in linuxcnc for this? Or am I doing something major wrong here?

If you want 4 unipolar drive signals, then that is easy enough, and is step type 5: www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.4/html/hal_rtcom...b:Stepgen-Step-Types

However, typical stepper drives run the motors at a much higher than rated voltage, and control the current with a chopper. This allows the motors to run a lot faster.

I think you will find that 12V DC rather overheats your motors. They tend to be rated at 5V or so DC.

Depending on the current required it is possible to run a unipolar motor with just a parallel port and a ULN2003 chip:

arduino.cc/en/Reference/StepperUnipolarCircuit
The following user(s) said Thank You: insanegenius

More
15 Mar 2013 10:31 #31439 by insanegenius
yeah that is exactly what I am using the unl2003a. would you be able to give me some step by step instructions of how to get this to work? I have 3 uln2003a chips and 3 printer stepper motors. The steppers show 12-24v. I am studying the 2 pin setup in the link you sent. But if I stick with the 4 pin setup do i just use a generic config then change the values to 5?
thanks.

More
15 Mar 2013 18:49 #31445 by andypugh

yeah that is exactly what I am using the unl2003a. would you be able to give me some step by step instructions of how to get this to work? I have 3 uln2003a chips and 3 printer stepper motors. The steppers show 12-24v. I am studying the 2 pin setup in the link you sent. But if I stick with the 4 pin setup do i just use a generic config then change the values to 5?.

Further down the page there is a 4-pin diagram, that is the one you want.

Start with a sample stepper configuration from the config picker, then change the step-type to 5 in the HAL file.

You will need to change the stepgen pin names and parallel port pins in the HAL file to suit the new stepgen type (you will have phase-A etc not step and dir).
You will need to pay attention to which parallel port pins are available as outputs.

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/stepgen.9.html
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/parallel_port.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: insanegenius

More
16 Mar 2013 05:35 #31476 by insanegenius
thank you so much. I will give this a shot.

More
16 Mar 2013 08:21 #31483 by skunkworks

More
17 Mar 2013 05:03 #31508 by insanegenius
No that is not me. However the situation is the same. Actually I think that my data sheet for my motor is wrong. It said unipolar. But when hooking it up to my Arduino it runs like a bipolar motor. There is only 4 wires, so I thought the casing was the 5th. But, that does not appear to be so. I am looking at an h-bridge circuit with the uln2003a. Since I have to design a different circuit. I am going to try and make one that works with the default linuxcnc wizard.

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds