Setting up some kind of RAMP on the steppers?

More
01 Jun 2013 23:31 #35106 by giggler999
Hi,

I have a diy 8x4 router with rack and pinion drive. I've got it moving on linuxcnc using the step wizard program. I'm a convert from turbocnc.

I've played with the settings but can't stop the machine moving like full speed and stopping full speed, I've runout of ideas and hence posting here. I made my gear boxes, first time and to say I'm no mechanic is putting it lightly. I've had some trouble fixing pinons properly on shafts due to lack of key ways. So starting slow on a G01 X50 and then slowing to stop like turbocnc would really help. Its like if I specify F5000 it seems to start at 5000mm/minute from 0 and stop instantly. My axis weight is heavy and some ramp would work wonders?

I'll post my configuration if its needed?

Regards,

dc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2013 23:44 #35107 by BigJohnT
The acceleration settings control how fast the velocity of an axis can change. Typically acceleration is 10-20 times higher than maximum velocity for an axis.

JT

More
02 Jun 2013 08:09 #35129 by andypugh

I've had some trouble fixing pinons properly on shafts due to lack of key ways.

You can calm things down by reducing the acceleration settings in the INI file (or whatever configurator you are using)

For connecting things to smooth shafts these devices are absolutely brilliant, though not cheap, and require quite a big hub:
www.fennerdrives.com/trantorque/

They will break the shaft before slipping if tightened to spec.

More
03 Jun 2013 01:12 - 03 Jun 2013 01:16 #35151 by Todd Zuercher
I've had pretty good luck with knurling the shaft then pressing the pinion gear onto it.

If you don't have the proper tools to do this right, a hammer, a sharp cold chisels and a lot of patients can achieve the same goal.

But you still need to fix your acceleration settings to stop from tearing things up (not to mention keep from loosing steps)

I've used those bushings (or ones like them) they are pretty ingenious (and they work good too).
Last edit: 03 Jun 2013 01:16 by Todd Zuercher.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds