Mixing basic config in with a custom config

More
19 Jul 2013 00:40 - 19 Jul 2013 02:36 #36783 by Muk
Ok, so I've been a Mach 3 and windows user for a long time...but when I saw that someone had made a custom config using LinuxCNC that allowed PPI (pulses per inch) with a laser cutter I had to swap over to take a look at this. So now after a few days of learning Linux and getting all up to snuff on things, I have a working copy of my own config that is tested. So then I took the custom config that he has and tried to port all my pins and what not over. So far it's been not too bad...few hiccups with duplicate ports I missed, but the problem I'm having is it refuses to 'home' properly. It just tries to break the belts off my stepper motors. I don't know what's going on and wondered if anyone in here could glean over these configs and see what I'm missing so much of.

My settings INI: pastebin.com/FMg9UX4m
My settings HAL: pastebin.com/vqPMfqfC

Custom INI: pastebin.com/2WL6Ezfk
Custom HAL: pastebin.com/GHFLXGmS

The custom project is here github.com/jv4779/2x_laser which is a fork of the original github.com/bjj/2x_laser

Combined INI: pastebin.com/xdi5kYNn
Combined HAL: pastebin.com/91k1qZ8e

Thanks in advance...I know this is a tall order to ask but...I'm stumped.

Reading into the HAL files a bit more...I see this stark difference in regards to the Home section.

net home-x <= parport.0.pin-10-in
net home-y <= parport.0.pin-12-in
net estop-ext <= parport.0.pin-15-in

and

net both-w <= parport.0.pin-12-in-not
net max-home-y <= parport.0.pin-13-in-not
net min-home-x <= parport.0.pin-15-in-not

Definitely where my issue is, but don't understand enough how to modify to fit my needs.
Last edit: 19 Jul 2013 02:36 by Muk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2013 16:57 - 19 Jul 2013 17:02 #36794 by ArcEye
Hi

I know nothing about laser or plasma cutters, so I will leave JT or someone who uses them to look at this in depth

You will need to say what version of Linuxcnc you are using, because it has a bearing on the file contents

What strikes me immediately are 3 things near the top of your combined files.

INI

NML_FILE = emc.nml

This was deprecated version 2.4 > and will cause startup to fail with waiting for s.axes error message, comment it out (#)

[TRAJ]
AXES = 9
COORDINATES = X Y Z W

Nothing wrong with this of itself but see below

HAL

loadrt probe_parport
Not used in a lot of 2.6 > configs, probably does not affect you

Main one
loadrt stepgen step_type=0,0,0

your INI file says there are 9 axes, but you have only defined 3.
The ones in between need a defining type or W will not exist
(in the same way you need to provide a type for Y axis on a lathe, even though it does not exist and is not used)

You will also need the updated stepgen component JT did, to get beyond 8 axes, if W is the only thing that axis can be defined as

regards
Last edit: 19 Jul 2013 17:02 by ArcEye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Muk

More
19 Jul 2013 18:05 #36802 by BigJohnT
I would start over with your working configuration. As ArcEye says don't add the nml line.

In your ini file it will be harmless to add the items in the [LASER] section to start. Change the [TRAJ] section to match and add the W axis. TEST run your config after each logical step, you don't attach the 2x_Laser.hal file so I don't know what it contains.

Before you can start adding the laserfreq items in the hal file you will need to install dev and build and install the laserfreq component.

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/comp.html

I would read this short chapter a few times to get a basic understanding of HAL.

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/basic_hal.html

You can attach your ini and hal files directly to a message and that will have a longer life than a pastbin which is usually used on the IRC and may disappear at any time.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: Muk

More
20 Jul 2013 03:20 #36813 by Muk
Ah, I didn't realize there was a version beyond 2.5.2 (that's what I'm using)

Thanks for the breakdown on HAL, that will help. I did install everything and all components are working. Actually before I realized there was posts, I was up late fighting with the code some more and managed to get the homing switches to work. =D

Also, good to know I can directly attach my files to the forum.

Thanks for the links, they will certainly help in the future (also now that it's working I may become a Linux convert...).

Thanks again guys.

More
20 Jul 2013 13:09 #36818 by ArcEye

Ah, I didn't realize there was a version beyond 2.5.2 (that's what I'm using)

The master 2.6 is unstable and experimental, but contains features
some people need

Don't change, you have the latest stable release already

More
12 Sep 2014 21:42 #51121 by viesturs.lacis
Hello!

I found your config pasted on github and would like to use it as a base for my project.
I would appreciate, if you could help me out with one question:
I see raster_engrave.py and raster_gui.py scripts in your config, but I do not see anywhere in INI or HAL files that these scripts are loaded or treated any other way. Could you, please, explain in few details, how these scripts are handled by LinuxCNC?
Thanks in advance!

More
12 Sep 2014 23:19 #51126 by cncbasher
viesturs,

the raster_engrave.py is an executable in it's own right to produce from a Jpg image a rasterised png file suitable for the laser to use

Dave

More
13 Sep 2014 00:37 #51129 by viesturs.lacis
could you, please, share a link, which describes, how to do that?
not sure I am looking at the right places:
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/common/python-interface.html
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Simple_EMC_G-Code_Generators

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds