Jog & Home working, but otherwise no movement.

More
05 Feb 2014 06:24 #43558 by kustomfx
I have tested with Mach 3 in demo mode and all works but I really want to use LinuxCNC. I installed the latest version of LinuxCNC last Friday and I can jog, home and touch off with no problem and all is smooth. But when I run gCode (included examples, test of my own) the Z axis moves and then the steppers release. It's just like the power is off, but its not. If I click the emergency stop button the servers lock as expected and I can jog as desired. My instinct tells me it's something simple that I have over looked (or don't know about) but I have searched the forums for an answer and nothing found so far works.

Anyone have an idea or a place to look for the answer?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2014 16:18 #43574 by cmorley
post your config files and describe your hardware.

In general, if something happens like this with no error message, one would use halmeter to check signals.
I would bet its a watchdog or charge pump tripping the drives. which linuxcnc is unaware about.
But that is just a guess till I know more.

Chris M
The following user(s) said Thank You: kustomfx

More
06 Feb 2014 01:58 - 06 Feb 2014 02:00 #43591 by kustomfx
Correct! it was the estop, I had the wrong assignment on what was suppose to be the estop pin. I know I must have looked at these settings at least fifty times this weekend, but I missed it every time. And I never thought of estop, becuase I could jog and home. I guess there was a signal on the pin until gcode started and then the singal was dropped, stopping the machine.

Thanks for the help!
Last edit: 06 Feb 2014 02:00 by kustomfx.

More
06 Feb 2014 20:34 #43603 by andypugh

And I never thought of estop, becuase I could jog and home

That actually sounds like your e-stop is wired to the wrong thing. You almost certainly want to be able to e-stop when homing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kustomfx

More
06 Feb 2014 21:01 #43605 by kustomfx
Yea, I found the problem after reading the first reply. Estop was wired to the wrong pin and a another signal (can't remember which one) was on the estop pin. The other signal must have been held low until gcode program started running and then raised at some point afterwards. I never tested estop while jogging or homing and never made it that far while simulating (no bits in router) a milling process. My thinking was estop was Ok because I could jog and home otherwise I should not be able to do so. I did not considering that there was another signal on the estop pin during that thought process. It's correct now and tested.

Thanks.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds