Homing setup problems

More
07 Sep 2014 05:52 #50870 by vtcnc
Homing setup problems was created by vtcnc
I'm new to LinuxCNC but have been using TurboCNC for a year with this same 3 axis mill.

The mill is xyz gantry style (no moving table), using 3 total steppers,

I've read the Getting Started manual, and have followed along through stepconf. I have the axes moving, and in the correct directions.

There are 2 limit switches on the X and Y axes, and one limit switch at the top of the Z axis. The limit switches on a single axis are wired in series, and they go open (low) when tripped. The 3 axes take up 3 pins on the parallel port, one for each axis.

I have chosen "Both Limit + Home X" and "Both Limit and Home Y" and "Minimum limit Z"

I have moved the X and Y axes to the limit switch near 0,0 on the machine (lower lft corner) but not on the switch.

I need help understanding and setting the Home location, Table travel, and Home switch location settings. I have read the manual, but still don't quite get it.

I've tried for example (X axis):

Home location 0.1
Table travel 0.0 to 22.0
Home switch location 0.0

But it doesn't work. As soon as I Home the axis the axis begins to travel to the right from 0,0,0 increasing in X until I manually stop it.

How do I get the home position to be at the lower left of the table?

Thanks for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2014 09:26 #50871 by vtcnc
Replied by vtcnc on topic Homing setup problems
Thinking about it -- is it possible that the table travel should be reversed for a moving gantry style mill? ie 22" to 0" instead of 0" to 22"? Does the stepconf program assume a moving table?

More
07 Sep 2014 14:04 #50875 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Homing setup problems
Have you read this?
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.4/html/config_ini_homing.html

Try changing the sign of
HOME_SEARCH_VEL

Table travel 0.0 to 22.0

Is a standard way to set the X axis. So left side of table is 0 right side 22.

Rick G
The following user(s) said Thank You: vtcnc

More
08 Sep 2014 08:57 #50904 by vtcnc
Replied by vtcnc on topic Homing setup problems
Thank you Rick!

Last night I decided to just drop the switch based homing option, and set all switches as limit switches only. That made things easy and I was able to home, touch off and actually cut parts today.

But I do want to understand why it didn't work for me earlier -- what I was doing wrong. So I'm reading the section you referenced, and will also try the change you suggest. I might not use homing switches, but I don't like to give up on learning my system. Thanks for your help!

More
08 Sep 2014 18:28 #50929 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Homing setup problems

I might not use homing switches, but I don't like to give up on learning my system. Thanks for your help!

You should use homing switches. Once the system is homed it will never hit a limit switch, and will warn you if the G-code is out-of-bounds.
If the machine isn't homed to switches it can never know where it actually is inside its travel envelope.

More
08 Sep 2014 18:57 #50935 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Homing setup problems
Some of my machines have home switches and some don't. The ones that do not I have hard stops or reference marks to start with so the soft limits work.
But as Andy said if you have home switches installed on your machine it is worth the effort to get them working. Fast easy accurate start up every time.
Glad you are making progress.
Welcome to linuxcnc.

Rick G

More
11 Sep 2014 17:29 #51070 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Homing setup problems

Thank you Rick!

But I do want to understand why it didn't work for me earlier -- what I was doing wrong. So I'm reading the section you referenced, and will also try the change you suggest. I might not use homing switches, but I don't like to give up on learning my system. Thanks for your help!

I found it confusing when I started with Linuxcnc and its easy to miss as Rick has pointed out putting the - sign before the HOME_SEARCH_VEL will reverse the direction of travel ie -25.000 instead of just 25.000. this is also true for some of the other perameters. ..Clive

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds