Wiring limits 5i25/7i76

More
23 Nov 2014 10:50 #53308 by jonesturf
I'm just getting back into this project after doing other stuff for 6 months. I have a knee mill with steppers. One limit switch on the x and y and up to three on the z if needed.

First question would be how many do I really need on the z? Its a Bridgeport boss. I've seen other guys only use two.

Second would be how do I need to wire them? I have a 24v power supply available. Should they all be wired together? They are NO switches so I guess really that isn't even possible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2014 21:03 #53315 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Wiring limits 5i25/7i76
If you have the inputs you should wire each switch to an input. The limit switches should be N/C. I'm assuming the X and Y are similar to my Series 1 Anilam converted mill with two targets on each axis and one switch? My Z has a top and bottom limit switch and I home to the top one.

JT

More
23 Nov 2014 22:16 #53318 by jonesturf
Replied by jonesturf on topic Wiring limits 5i25/7i76
Yes same as yours except they are NO...not NC. I originally thought they were NC but i tested them yesterday and they are definitely NO. Didn't test the z axis yet but x and y were. Does that really matter? I was thinking NC would be better.

More
23 Nov 2014 23:17 #53322 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Wiring limits 5i25/7i76
NC limit switches are preferred because a broken wire
or a wire shorted to ground (with active high inputs like the 7I76 uses)
will cause an immediate fault

More
23 Nov 2014 23:20 #53323 by jonesturf
That's what I thought. I swear I had checked all this before I out this project on hold so I'm a little confused but the meter doesnt lie.

If I decide to keep them NO for the time being just to get things moving how would I wire them? I can switch them out later.

More
24 Nov 2014 09:34 #53344 by jonesturf
Ok I just figured out that the switches can be wired either way so I'm good. So I'm guessing they should be separate so I can home all 3 axes at the same time? Also, do I use power off the board or do I supply the power from the 24v supply I have?

More
24 Nov 2014 20:25 #53350 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Wiring limits 5i25/7i76
Use 24v power for inputs. I was fixing to say most limit type switches have three terminals a common, a NO, and a NC.

JT

Time to create page: 0.485 seconds