stepconf setup

More
29 Mar 2015 19:29 #57277 by johnl2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2015 23:03 #57286 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic stepconf setup
Well... those are basically correct in the context of what stepconf does, that is, if you start with the scaling (usteps/gearing etc) and specify a maximum velocity, that does require a minimum base thread rate (or maximum base thread period), however the achieving this base thread rate may in fact be impossible.

Its arguable that stepconf should use the jitter number you enter and not allow setting velocities/scaling such that they violate the real time capabilities of the machine.

More
29 Mar 2015 23:10 #57287 by johnl2
Replied by johnl2 on topic stepconf setup
Yes, I agree, perhaps the coders could add a piece of code so that if it violates your timing parameters then it sends an error and will not let you move onto the next step.

Did you see my other question?

I have one more question if you don't mind. When I hook up my motor, www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/produc...tkl34h2120-60-4a-key, to my driver,www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/produc...eat-sink-is-included , in series, it goes so slow, it's not even workable. It works fine in parallel, but what could I be doing wrong? I should be able to run it in series, no? But if I turn up the acceleration or velocity, it does not even turn and acts very strange, like rumbling. Any help is appreciated and thanks again for all of your help so far.

I know I wrote two responses so you may have missed it.

Thanks,

John

More
29 Mar 2015 23:16 - 29 Mar 2015 23:18 #57288 by PCW
Be careful, you can damage your motors this way.
If your motors can run in series or parallel modes, you have to set your step driver currents to match
(current for series mode will be 1/2 the current setting for parallel)

Also your achievable step rates will be about 1/2 the parallel mode step rates when in series mode.

This is because the winding inductance is about 4X higher when in series mode so it takes
about twice as long to get to full current (remember full current is 1/2 the parallel mode full current)
after a step.
Last edit: 29 Mar 2015 23:18 by PCW.

More
30 Mar 2015 00:37 #57290 by johnl2
Yes, I did change the current when I hooked it up in series and in parallel. But the rate at which it's spinning in series is so slow, I feel that it's a worthless option!

John

More
30 Mar 2015 00:41 #57291 by PCW
It depends on your drives, if you have a higher voltage lower current step drive,
you may well get be a better performance than parallel mode

More
30 Mar 2015 02:04 - 30 Mar 2015 02:05 #57293 by johnl2
I'm actually getting better performance in parallel mode. Series is the problem. The drive is powered via a 48V PS and it can output up to 7A. But the drive is rated for 80V or something like that. So I think you it the nail on the head there. What vexes me is, why would Automationtechnology.com sell a package which under powers the drivers so?

I'd like to take the time to really thank you for answering me all day and so fast. I really appreciate it very much.

John

Edit: The DRIVE can output up to 7A.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2015 02:05 by johnl2.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds