TB6560AHQ locks steppers when power applied.

More
05 Apr 2015 01:40 #57529 by richard5008
This is for a DIY wood milling machine that I've been building. I'm using LinuxCNC 2.6.7 with the above mentioned TB6560 and NEMA 17, 76 in-oz steppers, but the issue with the TB6560 happens when I first turn on the power. The x and y axes are locked, i.e., I can't turn the motor spindles by hand. The z-asix I can turn by hand. When I fire up LinuxCNC and load a g-code example file and run it, everything seems to work fine. When the g-code program finishes the x and y steppers are locked again. This wouldn't normally be a problem except the steppers get a little too warm after a while of not being used.

I'm assuming this is an issue with the parallel port settings. Nothing I do in stepconf helps the situation. I can provide the .ini files if that will help.

Any help to solve this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2015 05:49 #57536 by andypugh

This wouldn't normally be a problem except the steppers get a little too warm after a while of not being used.

How hot? Steppers are perfectly happy up to temperatures that you can't comfortably touch.

More
05 Apr 2015 19:41 #57545 by richard5008
How hot? Yes, they get uncomfortable to touch. I used a Harbor Freight infrared thermometer to check the temp. The starting temp was 16.2C. After about 30 minutes it was 62.2C and still climbing. That's well done for my pot roast. Aside from the waste of power my general rule of thumb is that hot things don't last as long as cool things.

More
05 Apr 2015 20:08 #57547 by BigJohnT
Steppers when standing still and under power will be HOT! This is normal for steppers.

JT

More
05 Apr 2015 21:00 #57549 by andypugh

The starting temp was 16.2C. After about 30 minutes it was 62.2C and still climbing. That's well done for my pot roast.

That's within normal range, perhaps surprisingly.

www.anaheimautomation.com/manuals/forms/...sthash.19I34dZK.dpbs

Says

"Q: What temperatures are stepper motors able to run at?
A: Most stepper motors include Class B insulation. This allows the motor to sustain temperatures of up to 130° C. Therefore, with an ambient temperature of 40° C, the stepper motor has a temperature rise allowance of 90° C allowing for stepper motors to run at high temperatures. - See more at: www.anaheimautomation.com/manuals/forms/...sthash.19I34dZK.dpuf"

More
05 Apr 2015 21:14 #57550 by richard5008
Thanks for all the comments till now. The problem I'm trying to resolve is to NOT have the steppers under power unless they are commanded to be under power. When I first turn on the power supply to the driver board (TB6560AHQ) some steppers are randomly powered on by the driver board, sometimes it's the x axis, sometimes the y-axis, and sometimes both the x and y axes. The z-axis has never been powered on randomly, yet. This happens when LinuxCNC has not been started yet.

Logically (to me) they should be set to an idle state (none of the stepper coils powered) untill LinuxCNC or some other software control program tells them to do something. After that "something" is finished they should be set to an idle state meaning none of the stepper coils should be under power.

As mentioned in my original post, I think that Linux is randomly setting some of the pins on the parallel port such that it's telling the driver board to power the stepper(s). If I fire up WIndows 8.1 on the same computer then power the driver board, none of the steppers are powered. Now if LinuxCNC worked under some version of Windows life would be great.

I don't have a breakout box for the parallel port so I'm stuck unless someone knows how check and set the pins on the parallel port through LinuxCNC or someother program.

Again, thanks for all comments!

More
05 Apr 2015 22:20 - 05 Apr 2015 22:20 #57552 by ArcEye

Thanks for all the comments till now. The problem I'm trying to resolve is to NOT have the steppers under power unless they are commanded to be under power. When I first turn on the power supply to the driver board (TB6560AHQ) some steppers are randomly powered on by the driver board, sometimes it's the x axis, sometimes the y-axis, and sometimes both the x and y axes. The z-axis has never been powered on randomly, yet. This happens when LinuxCNC has not been started yet.

Until a device has claimed the parallel port and set its pins to meaningful values, it is in an unknown state

Your machine should not be powered until Linuxcnc starts and EStop and Machine - On are pressed
That is also what charge pumps etc are for

You need to change your wiring so that the drives are not enabled until under control

Logically (to me) they should be set to an idle state (none of the stepper coils powered) untill LinuxCNC or some other software control program tells them to do something. After that "something" is finished they should be set to an idle state meaning none of the stepper coils should be under power.

Wrong, if that happened your axes could move and you would lose your position.
More sophisticated drivers do power down to reduced amperage after a period of no movement, but the holding torque of the motors is required to keep the axes true

If I fire up WIndows 8.1 on the same computer then power the driver board, none of the steppers are powered.

Yes but then you have windows hate :sick:

I don't have a breakout box for the parallel port

Then you are just asking for trouble, buy a decent BOB with charge pump protection and buffered inputs.
All your motor movements will go away and you won't be able to short out your parport as easily

If your motors continue to run too hot, try reducing the amperage to the next setting down, but as people have said, they can get hot when working

regards
Last edit: 05 Apr 2015 22:20 by ArcEye.

More
06 Apr 2015 05:27 #57562 by andypugh

Then you are just asking for trouble, buy a decent BOB with charge pump protection and buffered inputs.

Having not done that myself when I used the parport, and given that I am currently running steppers drivers direct from a 7i43 with no buffering, it would be hypocritical of me to insist that this is the only solution.

You could try checking to see if there is a pin which is always low at power up (using a voltmeter) and use that to control an SSR that controls all the machine power.

Or you could build a charge pump circuit. Someone posted their own example recently, though I don't think that there was a schematic.

More
06 Apr 2015 19:52 #57580 by richard5008

Until a device has claimed the parallel port and set its pins to meaningful values, it is in an unknown state

Your machine should not be powered until Linuxcnc starts and EStop and Machine - On are pressed
That is also what charge pumps etc are for

OK, this is a piece of information that I missed reading through all the documentation. I followed your power-up instructions and when I turned on power to the stepper driver all 3 axes locked up, even the z-azis which till now had remained free to turn by hand. From what you stated, this is to be expected and will keep stepper alignment to a reference point and not drift because I bumped something or in the case of the z-axis, gravity causing a shift. Now I get it!

A breakout box as you described is not in my future. This is a DIY project on the cheap.

Thanks for the comments.

More
07 Apr 2015 22:56 #57611 by andypugh

OK, this is a piece of information that I missed reading through all the documentation. I followed your power-up instructions and when I turned on power to the stepper driver all 3 axes locked up

Actually, I think what ArcEye was saying was that the machine power should be _dependent_ on LinuxCNC being active.
Certainly my machine have no power to anything but the PC until the "machine on" button is pressed in LinuxCNC. This is very easy to arrange with a cheap SSR.
www.ebay.com/itm/310733040176 for example.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds