XYUV hotwire machine - axis visualisation wrong

More
21 Apr 2015 08:58 #57957 by chris_gough
My XYUV hotwire machine (FOAM=1, config here: github.com/monkeypants/foamcutter/tree/master/foamcutter) seems to work correctly. It executes g codes, refuse to go past the soft limits which are in the right place, etc. However, the visualisation in AXIS is wrong. It's was crudely based on the axis_foam example. I have two problems with the layout of the machine visualisation in axis.

What I see is 3 pairs of parallel axes on the screen, XYZ and UVW, with {Z,W} oriented verticaly (and unused), {X,U} left-right and {Y,V} front to back. There is a red box representing the work area of my machine. It's confusing because it's rotated 90 degres and mirrored. I would like to rotate it -90 degrees about Y axis (pull the top of the work-area towards me), and flipped about the {X,Y} plane i.e. {X,Y} facing me with {U,V} behind it ({X,U} vertical).

The intersection of {X,Y} is in the correct position at the side of the work area (well, mirror image of correct), but {U,V} is shown a small distance along on the {Z} axis (maybe 200mm, something like that) not on the other side of the work area where it is in reality (1500mm away). I'd like to increase the separation so it's on the extreem of the work area.

Is it possible to change the visualisation to the way I want it? I didn't find anything in the docs, did I miss something? How do I go about that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2015 20:09 #57969 by andypugh

Is it possible to change the visualisation to the way I want it? I didn't find anything in the docs, did I miss something? How do I go about that?

I have looked, and I don't think that there is anything in the docs..

But, looking at the source code I found:

git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=linuxcnc.git;a...7c3a0991bb69012e#l85

So, it looks like if you start your G-code with:
(AXIS, UV_Z_POS, 1500)
you will get what you want.
(or change XY_Z_POS to invert the orientation)

You can probably (though I haven't checked) issue that command as a startup G-code:
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/ini_co...sub:RS274NGC-section
The following user(s) said Thank You: chris_gough

More
23 Apr 2015 20:55 #58046 by chris_gough
Ah, great thanks.

I had started trawling through `grep -i -r "foam" ./` but it's my first encounter with the code base and I'm still chasing leads all over the place trying to figure out what's going on. I suspected GLCanon was significant but hadn't made it into rs274 yet.

That's cool, it didn't occur to me that g-code preamble might be used to control the UI behavior too.

More
23 Apr 2015 22:02 #58048 by andypugh

That's cool, it didn't occur to me that g-code preamble might be used to control the UI behavior too.

I am not sure that it makes sense for it to, really.

I would have had it choose the Min and Max of the Z-axis from the INI file...

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds