Work with probe

More
13 May 2015 14:00 - 16 Jul 2019 16:56 #58620 by verser
Work with probe was created by verser
For full and comfortable working with the probe in linuxcnc I wrote the application Probe Screen.
In this article, I will share the description and source code.

Attention! Measuring operations are very intolerant of incorrect settings. It is strongly recommended to do preliminary tests on loose object that will not damage the probe when unexpected movements. It is recommended to carefully check each setting before measuring the workpiece.

Installation.

Warning: Spoiler!

Use.

Set the probe in the spindle.
Move manually probe for Z about 2-10 mm above the workpiece surface,
and for XY about the position indicated by the colored dot on the appropriate button Probe Screen.
Fill parameters. Meaning of the parameters should be clear from the names and pictures (the name pop up when approaching the mouse). If you change the parameters are automatically saved in manualtoolchange.pref .

Hit only! the button that corresponds to the position of the probe above the workpiece. For the other buttons - another position above the workpiece.

You do not need to expose offsets for tool "Probe", the program desired zero offsets for the current tool makes herself, and G-code works off all in relative coordinates.
In fact, you can use the application immediately after the Home.

The trajectory of the probe by the example of measurement outside corner X+Y+

Path measurement cylinder, edge length should be approximately equal to the radius of the cylinder measured, xy clearance - outside offset from the walls of the cylinder

The trajectory of the probe by the example of measurement inside corner X+Y+

Path measurement hole, edge length should be approximately equal to the radius of the hole measured, xy clearance - inside offset from the walls of the hole.

Any of the search ends at XY moving at the desired point (or edge, or corner, or center), Z remains in the original position.

Sources

P.S. Style of Nick's for Features great decorates Probe Screen. For him, huge gratitude!

P.S.S. Sorry for my English.
Last edit: 16 Jul 2019 16:56 by verser.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike_Eitel, BigJohnT, andypugh, Nick, billykid, PKM, RotarySMP, RayJr, nkp, blacksmith99 and 29 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2015 22:36 - 13 May 2015 22:55 #58641 by mariusl
Replied by mariusl on topic Work with probe
Hi
What is the attached file's proper extension please? I renamed to all the know compressed file extensions but nothing works.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Last edit: 13 May 2015 22:55 by mariusl.

More
13 May 2015 23:09 #58643 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Work with probe
It was a .rar file.
I swapped it for a .zip
The following user(s) said Thank You: verser

More
14 May 2015 00:07 #58647 by mariusl
It is looking very promising so far. I have not got it to work on Gmoccapy yet but I can see one very big requirement.

One must have the option to choose an offset (G55 etc) and then choose to set the coordinate system to zero in stead of just making a measurement. If I probe a hole I would want to set the tool to the middle of the hole and make X and Y both zero. Now one can start doing bolt patterns or mill threading etc. Similarly for a corner or an edge. You would have to have a parameter for the probe tip diameter and then set the probed edge as zero for the axis involved if the option was ticked.

As I said looking good and very close to the thing we are all looking for :)

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
14 May 2015 00:45 - 14 May 2015 02:15 #58651 by verser
Replied by verser on topic Work with probe

One must have the option to choose an offset (G55 etc) and then choose to set the coordinate system to zero in stead of just making a measurement. If I probe a hole I would want to set the tool to the middle of the hole and make X and Y both zero. Now one can start doing bolt patterns or mill threading etc. Similarly for a corner or an edge. You would have to have a parameter for the probe tip diameter and then set the probed edge as zero for the axis involved if the option was ticked.

Now you can insert the probe into the hole, set Z_clearance=0, start measure without worrying about any offsets, and tool will be placed to the middle of the hole. Parameter for the probe tip diameter is present and accounted for in the measurements :)
Last edit: 14 May 2015 02:15 by verser.

More
14 May 2015 13:14 #58663 by mariusl
Ah you see I cannot run it yet on Gmoccapy so I did not test anything. Just observations.

So for a hole, it will place the probe in the middle of the hole and I can then do a manual offset.
How does that work for the edges?

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
14 May 2015 14:50 #58665 by verser

Ah you see I cannot run it yet on Gmoccapy so I did not test anything. Just observations.

I just fixed a bug in the source code. Take, please, the new version.

More
14 May 2015 14:57 - 14 May 2015 17:39 #58666 by verser

How does that work for the edges?

In the beginning you need to install the tip of the probe just above the measured corner or edge(as indicated by the colored dot on the appropriate button Probe Screen). Z_clearance sets the depth. Set all parameters. And go :) .
Last edit: 14 May 2015 17:39 by verser.

More
14 May 2015 19:48 #58680 by mariusl
Thanks I uploaded the new software and now it loads. Not tested yet but will do so soon.

What is the other piece of software next to you probing stuff on your picture a couple of posts back?

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
14 May 2015 20:11 #58684 by mariusl
Hi
Gmoccapy loads with the probing stuff loaded in the usertab but when I run it the system goes to MDI mode and nothing further happens. Is there some other stuff that must be installed or not?

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Time to create page: 0.350 seconds