Basic help on configuring stepconf

More
20 Mar 2016 21:48 #71951 by kt600v
hello everyone, I'm new at using LinuxCNC, i'd like to ask for some help on basic configuration, I've been reading the documentation but still need help.

When using Stepconf there are some items I don't know how to set.

Table travel: Is this range measured from hard stop to hard stop? does This value set the soft limits? How do i set soft limits?

Home switch location:Would someone give me an example on how to set this value? should it be the same location set by the 3 reference switches (xyz) that my machine has?

What/where is the machine origin for a 3 axis cnc?
thanks in advance for your reply, your help is very appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2016 14:34 #72325 by andypugh

Table travel: Is this range measured from hard stop to hard stop? does This value set the soft limits? How do i set soft limits?

It should be a little less than the absolute travel limits. But only a little, as the machine knows that it will need to decellerate to a stop at that point.

Home switch location:Would someone give me an example on how to set this value?

This might help:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/config/ini-homing.html

What/where is the machine origin for a 3 axis cnc?

To an extent it doesn't matter, as long is it is a right-handed coordinate system. Typically the G-code origin is somewhere on or in the part, and there are several sets of working coordinate systems (offset from the machine coordinate system) to allow for this.

However, many CAM systems assume that Z = 0 is tool fully up, so you should set Z-max - 0 and Z-min = -250 (or whatever)
The X axis should increase as the tool moves to the right. The Y axis should increase as the tool moves away. If the table moves rather than the spindle, then you still need to look at it from the point of view of spindle relative to work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kt600v

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds