scaling issues during engraving

More
02 Jun 2016 07:42 #75321 by RakeshV
Hi,
I recently built my CNC and started playing around with Linux CNC. I am able to import EagleCad gerber file using the tools available at this link
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Converting_Tools

However, when I engrave the part, the size on y Axis is halved! example: if I am engraving a 8cmx8cm board, the Y axis turns out to be 4cm and the board is scaled in a weird way. Is this a Scale setting issue in my INI file?

I just realized that my CNC setup is a gantry(I am using gantrykins, with axis 2 and 4 in joint mode: these correspond to the 2 Y axis on the machine). Should I double the scale setting in the INI file for these axes? Does the scale factor get halved when operating in this way? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am a noob in this area.

If anyone has any suggestions, Please let me know.

Thanks,

Rakesh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2016 09:57 #75323 by andypugh
The scale setting does not need to be doubled on a gantry. However you should double the scale numbers in the INI file.
It is likely that the stepper drivers on that axis have a higher microstepping ratio than you thought when you set it up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RakeshV

More
02 Jun 2016 12:30 #75327 by Todd Zuercher
Is you scaling off all the time, or only when you are running the converted Eaglefiles?
When you command a move of a specific measurement, does it move that distance? Such as an MDI command G0X10, or G0Y10.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RakeshV

More
03 Jun 2016 21:19 #75470 by RakeshV
Thanks Todd and Andy. I tried Todd's suggestions and tried the G0 commands before any INI file changes. I was able to reproduce the halving of the movement on one of the Axis. I changed the INI file and doubled the scale values for the two Y axes. This produced equal movements on both X & Y. So this seems to have solved the issue.

Rakesh

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds