Getting started with Linux, LinuxCNC and CNC

More
11 Jun 2016 05:59 #75800 by sharpshooterser
Well, my basic machining knowledge is rather good, but when it comes to cnc I am aware I suck. I want to learn, but its hard to do when you get into the airplane, and instructions say "this is a stick, those are the flaps and rudder, there you go, fly"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2016 09:01 #75802 by Rick G
Have you looked here?
gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/g-code/index.html
and
forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/lathe-subroutines-library

Start linuxcnc
under sim.axis.ngcgui
There should be a sample config included with linuxcnc called
ngcgui_lathe

You might want to try that.
To keep things simple to start with you might want to just touch off with your current tool and worry about the tool table later.

You can run your lathe without home and limit switches. A simple set up could be to have a home position with Z at the end of it's travel (all the way to right) set to 0 and X all the way out (toward the operator) set to 0.
If you home the X and Z axis there and you have configured the correct amount of travel for your machine the "soft limits" should take effect.
So you would home the machine, then jog to your work piece, then touch off to the work piece. The link above shows one method.
When done working a command such as
G0 G54 X0
should return the X to home position and
G0 G54 Z0
Should return the Z to it's home position.

First steps first are your configuration files correct for your machine? If not we can help you set them up.

Rick G
The following user(s) said Thank You: sharpshooterser

More
19 Jun 2016 20:09 #76290 by sharpshooterser
OK, its been some really tough days for me, trying to figure out what to do next, should I just drop everything, or go to some modern electronics stuff and use different software - that others around me use. But I thought to give this another go.

I ve read a lot of tutorials and watched a lot of videos in the meantime, but my knowledge is still at very low bases. In a lot of cases, I cant even understand what the tutorial is trying to say due to terminology used, that I am really unfamiliar of - that would be an easy task 20 years ago when I started using computers, but today, its really hard and time consuming to even get to that. And everyone here uses Windows - trust me no linux users that could help out.
Just like I said on another forum, I am ready to learn, but this has to be really step by step and line by line explanation - click exactly here, type exactly this here etc, for me to get a hang of it. I used to be a banker, and I have managed to learn how to operate manual lathe and mill, with tutorials and a help from people that had the right "this one is a noob" aproach.

The files found here are correct for my setup - thanks to samco. Only it would be nice to have them in metric instead of inch measurements - I would like to know how to make that work.

Also, I ve found this forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/40-subroutines-...-of-ngcgui?start=310
it looks just like something that I need! I ve read the instructions and managed to get it as standalone, but no luck with embeding it to axis, because the further I read what had to be done, I got more confused.

github.com/cnc-club/linuxcnc-features

I ll continue to run my lathe without switches, and from what I can see in operation, it has some sort of homing set up in the files from samco (also, I cant tell how they are configured, but the carriage and cross slide take a spot in the middle - in both ways). Using touch off seems like a good way to deal with things, especially when one has different lengths of stock in use, but with primarily parting and hopefully threading operations, setting tool offsets from the master one would be a large step forward.
I really do hope that you are willing to help me out.
Thanks
Stefan

More
19 Jun 2016 20:25 #76291 by andypugh

The files found here are correct for my setup - thanks to samco. Only it would be nice to have them in metric instead of inch measurements - I would like to know how to make that work.

One advantage of CNC is that you can use whatever units you like. Your lathe can be set up in either units (ie, the limit and such in the INI file are in metric or in imperial). But regardless of what the base machine units are, the displayed units can be either.
Furthemore, you can run G-code in different units to the machine or the display.

So, as an example, if your lathe is set up in metric, and your display is set to show metric, you can still run a G-code file where all the numbers are in inches as long as the G-code contains the command G20 that tells the machine what the numbers in the file mean.

If you want to convert your configuration to metric then you would need to change a few things in the INI file. But if you just want to use metric G-code and see metric position readouts, there is no need.
type the command G21 in the MDI window to switch the G-code units to metric, and then choose View->Display MM to switch the display to mm.

Both these settings should "stick"

More
19 Jun 2016 20:29 #76292 by sharpshooterser
Thank you, that was very informative! I used View->Display MM but I wasnt sure that it will affect some future g code that might contain imperial units.
Thanks again

More
20 Jun 2016 07:09 #76300 by Rick G
Have you tried the sample ngcgui lathe simulator configuration that is included with linuxcnc that I mentioned above?
It includes subs for inside diameter, outside diameter, taper, etc. and there are more subs available.

Rick G

More
20 Jun 2016 07:15 #76301 by sharpshooterser
Actually I did, if it was the correct one - took me some time to find it in there. I just wasnt able to generate code (probably didnt see the correct interface button in there) but I will give it a try again.
Also a major setback is not having internet connection in those workshop comouters, so I cant read and try it in live mode at the same time - but that is beeing taken care off.

More
20 Jun 2016 21:45 - 20 Jun 2016 21:48 #76331 by sharpshooterser
Aaaah, found the one you meant. Its pretty good from what I can see, for simulation purposes.
I believe I cant embed its features into my lathe configuration that I choose when I start linuxcnc?

First try, but without the usage of ngcgui or simulator. OK, threaded air first, then some acetal, than aluminium.

I preprared the piece of material to be 0.5 OD (and jaws are as good as new so no runout), touch of x and z and in mdi gave the g0 x1 z0.2 command, then the following g76. it warned me that I should turn on the spindle (M3) and I did prior to this type in a g7, g18 and g20 just to be sure what I am doing - for lathe plane, imperial units, diameter mode (just cant use radius :D)

the g76 i wrote by hand at first G76 p0.05 z-1 i -0.5 j 0.005 r2 k 0.02975 q 29.5 h 2 e 0.02975 l3, but later I changed the K to 0.075 , put the R to 1 H to 0, E is same as K and L0, to get it to do this faster. it took ages with the first line of code. And I set spindle speed at 550, its quite steady. I hope this wasnt too fast? I have to get to the bottom of these R, H and L , and also to find a proper table for depths of cut for the threads - used 0.075 was a pure estimate ( in some tables I found that minor diameter should be 0.46** something, I subtracted that from 0.5 and divided by 2 at first, way too shallow lol, then I just used the 0.5 minus minor diameter, that was too shallow too - perhaps I am using the wrong lines in those tables?)
Last edit: 20 Jun 2016 21:48 by sharpshooterser.

More
21 Jun 2016 10:36 #76337 by Rick G
Looks like you are making progress.

I just wasnt able to generate code (probably didnt see the correct interface button in there) but I will give it a try again.

With ngcgui
Select the operation you want.
Fill in the fields
Then hit "create feature"
Then hit "finalize"
The operation should be created and take you back to linuxcnc where you can view and run the program.

Also note that after you hit "create feature" you can select another operation, fill in the fields, create next and then finalize and both operations will be combined one after the other for as many as you select. So you could run outside diameter, then taper and run them together.

You can add ngcgui to your configuration and select other operations to be listed in the tabs at top. You can also create your own.
If you get comfortable running ngcgui on the simulator we can help you modify your working configuration to add ngcgui.

Rick G

More
21 Jun 2016 19:47 #76367 by sharpshooterser
Thanks, I will give it a try for sure! And get back to you.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds