linuxcnc noob

More
07 Jul 2016 18:15 #77152 by slyvape
Replied by slyvape on topic linuxcnc noob
thank you all for the help
i swapped the port address to what was in the bios 0x278
with the standard sherline stepconfig i was able to test the axis it clicks very very slowly moving the table i was able to speed that up slightly by modifying some of those settings. i was not able to manually jog in the test axis window.

once linuxcnc was opened the smale gcode runs but steppers do not turn I am calling a2z to get the true specs of the steppers

Thanks guys i will keep you updated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2016 20:45 #77160 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic linuxcnc noob
Glad the parallel port address suggestion helped.

Your next step should probably be to run the latency test.
The latency test will tell you give you information about the compatibility of the computer with linuxcnc, such as the speed for the threads which you will need to properly set up linuxcnc.

Rick G
The following user(s) said Thank You: slyvape

More
07 Jul 2016 20:53 #77161 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic linuxcnc noob
Are you running a config that you created with the Stepconfig wizard or the included premade Serline config?

thank you all for the help
i swapped the port address to what was in the bios 0x278
with the standard sherline stepconfig i was able to test the axis it clicks very very slowly moving the table i was able to speed that up slightly by modifying some of those settings. i was not able to manually jog in the test axis window.

once linuxcnc was opened the smale gcode runs but steppers do not turn I am calling a2z to get the true specs of the steppers

Thanks guys i will keep you updated.

More
07 Jul 2016 22:22 #77162 by slyvape
ok i have made some progress
after fooling around with some of the settings in stepconfig i was able to get the jog to work and the test to run. however there is noticeable stepping and it is not running smooth when i jog
i go into linuxcnc and run the test gcode and it seems like it is moving at a fraction of the distances it should be i mean like in the 100th's of when it should be. and the DRO jog is still not running smoothly. is this now a computer or stepper ratio issue ( the sherline presets calls for a 20tpi the mill i have has 8tpi lead screws) or a combo of both? I am going to see if i have a desktop sitting around tonight

Thanks again.

More
07 Jul 2016 23:10 #77163 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic linuxcnc noob

i go into linuxcnc and run the test gcode and it seems like it is moving at a fraction of the distances it should be i mean like in the 100th's of when it should be. and the DRO jog is still not running smoothly. is this now a computer or stepper ratio issue.

Probably. You can change the scale easily by editing the INI file [AXIS_N]SCALE settings. See if it helps.

It might not be scale, though. It could be that not every step is being acted on. Try a slow move and then a fast move of the same distance to see what is going on.

Best way: In the MDI tab
G1 X1 F1
G0 X0
G1 X1 F25
See if both moves end in exactly the same place and the G0 moves back to the original zero.
(use bigger numbers if set up for metric)

More
08 Jul 2016 04:43 #77167 by slyvape
I finally got this working to the point I can do some fine tuning myself. Thank you so much this community is really gears towards helping the new guy out again thank you

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds