Getting started with HuanYang vfd_spindle

More
06 Nov 2016 19:28 #82515 by SvenH
At the moment I am building a new cnc that I am going to fit with a HuanYang vfd+spindle.
I have been using linuxcnc since 2008 and do feel more or less comfortable with the basics.

But it seems that using this vfd/spindle combo does not start with the basics but instead starts half way.
I have found that "the driver is included in 2.7" and that is almost as far as heaps of googling has gotten me.

It can be that I need to get a serial port to something connector which is fine but I'm afraid I need some more guidance.

Is there a manual available somewhere that says buy this, then start by... and finally do ...?

I have the set running from the display on the vfd and have tried to get it connected to my bob, but that does not work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2016 22:04 #82521 by Hakan
I just set up the spindle on my lathe with an 2 kW HuanYang vfd. Here are the overall steps.
Hy_vfd driver - the man page outlines the necessary vfd settings.
For communication, an usb to rs-485 adapter was purchased for like 1 us$ on ebay.
Connect the two wires.D+ to... Well if it doesn't work, switch the cables.
Connect the usb device to the computer, find the device name like /dev/ttyUSB0
Make sure the user has read and write access to the device: sudo chmod a+rwx /dev/ttyUSB0
Then follow the testing at the top of this post forum.linuxcnc.org/24-hal-components/292...inuxcnc-2-7?start=40 which ends up with the few hal lines to add.

More
07 Nov 2016 12:52 - 07 Nov 2016 12:53 #82538 by andypugh
One of these will work:
forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/18-computer/306...485-connection#72351

For the cable to the drive I used www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151146925032 because it is shielded, and available in purple ;-)
Last edit: 07 Nov 2016 12:53 by andypugh.

More
07 Nov 2016 19:02 #82562 by SvenH
Thanks guys,

I hadn't realised that I should get me an extra bit of hardware and not use the break out board.
I think I'll be able to get through this!

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds