Looking for way to force home coordinates

More
25 May 2017 14:50 #93620 by dokwine
Relatively new user and could use a pointer in the right direction...

I've built a CNC router with motors that automatically home when they are enabled. I'm looking for a way to tell the system that all of its's axes are homed without selecting each one at a time in Axis. I could set a pyvcp button or ideally tie it to my enable pin. Just don't know how to bash the right (pin|signal|var) to let Axis know its been homed. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2017 15:39 - 26 May 2017 15:41 #93666 by andypugh
Is it possible for the machine to ever not be homed?

If it isn't then you can use NO_FORCE_HOMING in the INI.

Otherwise the HOME_ABSOLUTE_ENCODER options in the development version might help.
Last edit: 26 May 2017 15:41 by andypugh.

More
26 May 2017 16:07 #93671 by dokwine
Thanks for the reply, Andy. That's correct, the machine is always homed. The motors always run their own homing sequence upon enable and leave the machine at machine coordinates X0,Y0,Z0. I looked at NO_FORCE_HOMING but that's not the right behavior for me. I DO want to be forced to home Axis to 0,0,0 after the machine is enabled so I can count on the limits. I'm just trying to avoid 6 mouse "hunt and clicks" every time the machine is enabled (select x, x is home, y, y is home, z, ...)

I don't get a home_all bit in halui, presumably because I don't have a valid homing sequence in my .ini; I tried sticking in the "immediate homing" sequence but it didn't help.

Trying to avoid the development version for now - enough new things for me at this machine without throwing that into the mix for the moment :)

More
26 May 2017 16:11 #93673 by andypugh
Well, as a first stage, set up a homing sequence, but give each axis a home-search-velocity of zero.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dokwine

More
26 May 2017 16:29 #93674 by dokwine
Brilliant! I'd thought I tried this and it hadn't worked, but I found that I hadn't made the entry into each [Axis] section. I now have a button and a halui pin! Thanks for the help, Andy. I really hate going through the newbie stage of my new endeavors.

More
03 Jul 2017 17:11 #95318 by GarthN
Can you explain that to a real newbie? I've managed to get a Z axis touch off plate working on my home built router (with a button on the Axis screen), but don't understand all that well why it even works. Except that I now know G38...

More
03 Jul 2017 17:13 #95319 by GarthN
And I have the same issue - I don't have home/limit switches (too much to add right now), and I am quite happy to jog to a start point - but then I want to home X and Y with one click. For now, I will always use my touch plate to home Z

More
03 Jul 2017 17:56 #95322 by andypugh
Give X and Y a HOME_SEQUENCE number and set their HOME_SEARCH_VELOCITY and HOME_LATCH_VELOCITY to zero.
DO not give Z a HOME_SEQUENCE and you should find that it is not homed by the home-all button.

More
03 Jul 2017 18:37 #95324 by GarthN
Once I learnt that HOME_SEQUENCE must start with 0, the home all works! Thank you Mr Pugh.

It is what I want for now - but just to make it a bit cleaner, can I rename the Home all button to Home XY, and get the individual home button back too? (so I can home either X or Y individually as well)

Probably going against best practice, overlooking the way homing should work, but that's my limit for now

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds