(Solved) Using software pulse generation with Chinese steppers

More
09 Aug 2017 18:07 #97250 by drksam
Both the hal and ini files are attached to a post from yesterday but I can put the code in a post when I get home. I will also check the accel and try it with a couple different settings I will first try about 25% higher as you suggest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2017 19:00 #97254 by Todd Zuercher
I should have seen that. Other things to consider, weak power supply, insufficient voltage?

More
10 Aug 2017 00:01 - 10 Aug 2017 00:03 #97266 by drksam
After some more testing and tonight i decided to create a pulse with an arduino and it worked perfectly smooth so i know the drives and the steppers are wired correct and are working. I also did try setting my acceleration times lower and i set stepgen accel about 25% higher so now they are
MAX_ACCELERATION = 5
STEPGEN_MAXACCEL = 6.25
(that is all I changed from yesterdays uploads)
It did seem to smooth out the take off and stopping but not the at speed.

I went to the halscope and played a little more with it and I think I may see something odd, at some zoom points there are more solid parts on the pulse wave that look like the motors sound. If I can I will up load a picture of the wave.

Does this mean that the output and stepper are doing exactly as they are told and I have some strange setting off somewhere?
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Aug 2017 00:03 by drksam. Reason: Add pic

More
10 Aug 2017 22:33 - 11 Aug 2017 00:37 #97319 by drksam
Ok I have fixed it. it turns out I needed to uncomment "setp parport.0.pin-0XY-out-reset 1"

Set "setp parport.0.pin-0XY-out-invert 0" to "setp parport.0.pin-0XY-out-invert 1"

And i changed "loadrt hal_parport cfg="0x378 out"" to "loadrt hal_parport cfg="0 out""

Now it works great no matter what micro stepping or speed. Im still going to add some gear reduction but the motors are running great.

Im going to upload my ini and hal as maybe it will help some one someday.

Thanks for your help!
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Aug 2017 00:37 by drksam.

More
11 Aug 2017 03:15 #97325 by Todd Zuercher
Glad to hear you got it working.
I don't believe the change in the loadrt hal_parport line should have made any difference. But commenting out the reset line if the stepgen was configured to use it would.

More
14 Aug 2017 16:02 #97466 by andypugh

Glad to hear you got it working.
I don't believe the change in the loadrt hal_parport line should have made any difference. But commenting out the reset line if the stepgen was configured to use it would.

It was configured to use it, hence the "setp ... steplen 1" (Which on the face of it means 1nS, but in practice means "let reset handle it")

500nS is still a bit tight, you won't lose much, if anything, going to 2000.

More
16 Aug 2017 10:57 #97562 by drksam
Ok I will give 2000 a try and see what happens. Thank you for the explanation of how they work together that helps.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds