Manual handwheel controller

More
30 Dec 2017 16:47 #103859 by Cysign
Hey fellows,
long time I did neither have time nor money to start my LinuxCNC project, but now it looks like I could start in 1-2 month. So now I'm ordering components - and as I would like to have a manual handwheel controller I wonder if MPG compatible controllers will wotk with LinuxCNC as well ;)

Especially this one looks interesting:
www.ebay.de/itm/CNC-Manual-Pulse-Generat...045573.c100033.m2042

What do you guys think? Will it work with LinuxCNC? Will it be easy to setup?

I won't use the playtic RJ45 connectors. That's the first thing to replace if I go for this controller....I like more solid connectors for heavy duty usage ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2017 22:19 #103879 by InMyDarkestHour
Seems to be Mach3 specific, you may have to search for support, if any for, Linuxcnc. I would guess a custom driver would be required for Linuxcnc.

A quick read of manual seems to be only for Mach3.

The website has a controller that looks like it interfaces with Mach3, but as this is USB there would be no support for Linuxcnc.

If you look at the wiki, wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Using_...Wireless_MPG_Pendant and search the forum you will have a better chance of finding something that is compatible.

More
02 Jan 2018 18:01 #103954 by Cysign
Replied by Cysign on topic Manual handwheel controller
Thanks for your answer.
Semms www.ebay.com/itm/Engraving-Machine-Acces...9:g:aDQAAOSwEOpZ~9MM will work fine - and as it's not too expensive I better will order this one, soon.
But it's still USB. So USB seems to work fine?

More
02 Jan 2018 23:41 #103969 by InMyDarkestHour
Haven't a discussion about that particular one, only the wireless ones, but it's mentioned in the wiki.

The wireless ones are connect via a usb dongle, usb appears to be fine for pendants that don't require any realtime critical sections.

But USB is not supported for motion control, ie : controller servos or steppers and the like.

More
03 Jan 2018 13:36 - 03 Jan 2018 13:37 #103989 by Cysign
Replied by Cysign on topic Manual handwheel controller
Well, I'd like to buy a controller that is fully supported. I found the 'original' HB04 - but as it's an USB one, it might have the same issue?
www.ebay.de/itm/Digital-Hand-Wheel-HB04-...045573.c100033.m2042

Which controller (maximum about 100$) would you suggest?
Last edit: 03 Jan 2018 13:37 by Cysign.

More
03 Jan 2018 14:32 #103990 by Todd Zuercher
An HB04 should not be a problem to use in Linuxcnc, it has a supported driver. A USB device is perfectly acceptable as a human to machine interface (HMI). Your keyboard and mouse are both examples of the same thing. The first pendant you linked to only might be a problem, because there isn't a driver for it. It could still be used if you have the skills to write a driver for it or can find one that someone has already made. And that would only be a problem for the display and input buttons, the actual pulse generator dial (aka encoder wheel) would interface with conventional real time inputs like a normal encoder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: InMyDarkestHour

More
12 Jan 2018 22:00 #104366 by andypugh

Especially this one looks interesting:
www.ebay.de/itm/CNC-Manual-Pulse-Generat...045573.c100033.m2042

What do you guys think? Will it work with LinuxCNC? Will it be easy to setup?

It will _partially_ work with LinuxCNC. The pulse-wheel part would be easy to interface.

The rest of it would need a custom driver. Not impossible, but certainly a project.

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds