Y axis suddenly moves twice as far

More
01 May 2018 19:39 #109934 by AlbertHall
The machine has been working fine for quite a while now but today between two jobs the Y axis moves double distance.
I switched the machine off/on and rebooted the computer. Home all axes and move to X100, Y100 but Y axis actually moves 200mm (X is correct). I haven't been anywhere near any config file and as far as I can see X and Y are configured the same except for home amd limit positions.

What is going on?

LinuxCNC 2.5.0
Config files attached.

File Attachment:

File Name: Debug.zip
File Size:7 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2018 19:46 #109935 by PCW
I would suspect the step drive microstep settings have changed (especially if they are set with dip switches)

More
01 May 2018 19:53 #109937 by AlbertHall
LinuxCNC drives the steppers using the parallel port. The machine just takes these signals and drives the steppers. There is no 'brain' in there and no dip switches.

More
01 May 2018 19:57 - 01 May 2018 19:57 #109938 by PCW
There must be a step drive between the parallel port and the step motors

Most step drives have ways to set the microstep ratio
changing the microstep ratio inadvertently would cause the type of symptom you have
Last edit: 01 May 2018 19:57 by PCW.

More
02 May 2018 14:31 #110023 by AlbertHall

There must be a step drive between the parallel port and the step motors

Most step drives have ways to set the microstep ratio
changing the microstep ratio inadvertently would cause the type of symptom you have

Today I have had the box apart and boards out. The drivers use a A3977SEDT chip has two pins (MS1, MS2) to set the ratio. Both of these pins are connected to +5V on all three boards - no switches/links. This selects eighth step.

The problem is intermittent but doesn't respond to percussive maintenance (!)

To get double speed MS1 must be low. That could be a duff joint on the PCB or it could be inside the chip. I put a solder blob between the two pins so they must both be at the same potential. This made no difference, so the problem must be inside the chip. These chips are no longer manufactured but are available on eBay. £24 - ouch! and won't be here until 24 May but it gives me a chance to practice soldering PLC44 devices!!! Wish me luck.

More
02 May 2018 16:40 #110037 by PCW
You might try a bit of freeze mist on suspected parts to try and locate the intermittent

More
04 May 2018 19:31 #110217 by AlbertHall
The new chip arrived today and I have fitted it and it all seems to work. As the problem was intermittent it is possible it is trying to lure me into a false sense of security...

When I posted the original question I was expecting it to be a software problem but the replies here pointed me at the hardware and it turned out to be a stepper driver chip which had developed an unexpected 'maybe' gate :) so thanks.

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds