Help required 2.8 slaved axis

More
04 Jul 2018 11:09 #113406 by Yannis
I think that if you jog the axis you will see what is the max speed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2018 15:03 #113570 by Clive S
Ok an update I now (it seems) have a functioning ini file for the homing slaved axis, thanks to all and much reading.

I have noticed that when I home all and it gets to the homing of the slaved axis it all runs fine:)

But if I hit or catch the left or right arrow keys (X axis) in the middle of homing procedure one motor will stop and thus start racking the gantry.

Is this normal? .. When homed the gui screen changes signifying the home is completed with a "H" and then you can jog normally

More
07 Jul 2018 18:28 #113701 by andypugh

That may have been an oversight on my behalf. I think that the axis settings will override the joints, particularly where a joint axis is defined.

Not exactly.

Until you are homed you are in Joint mode and the [JOINT] settings are used. When you are homed the [AXIS] settings will be used.

For many machines the [AXIS] and [JOINT] position, velocity and accel limits will be the same numbers but that does not mean that they mean exactly the same thing or that any of them are redundant.

More
09 Jul 2018 04:31 #113854 by Yannis
hi
until you home the machine don't try to move it by jog (you may crash it)
look over here forum.linuxcnc.org/49-basic-configuratio...-linuxcnc-2-8-master
you will find interesting thinks

More
09 Jul 2018 06:21 #113855 by Clive S
Thanks I have read that link many times. Lcnc stops you from jogging before homing for the slaved axis.

I have noticed that when I home all and it gets to the homing of the slaved axis it all runs fine:) and I can jog normally.

But if I hit or catch the left or right arrow keys (X slaved axis) in the middle of homing procedure one motor will stop and thus start racking the gantry.

Is this normal? .. When homed the gui screen changes signifying the home is completed with a "H" and then you can jog normally.

More
09 Jul 2018 08:20 #113856 by Yannis
Clive s wrote But if I hit or catch the left or right arrow keys (X slaved axis) in the middle of homing procedure one motor will stop and thus start racking the gantry
there is no reason to jog before the homing procedure
if you do that in a real machine you may damage it
first when you turn the machine on do the home sequence
if home is done then jog the machine
also you can check forum.linuxcnc.org/47-hal-examples/34072...antry-example#106523
rodw is expert on gantry machines

More
09 Jul 2018 09:59 #113859 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Help required 2.8 slaved axis

I'm not so sure about that given the number of mistakes I've made!

I have noticed that when I home all and it gets to the homing of the slaved axis it all runs fine:) and I can jog normally.

But if I hit or catch the left or right arrow keys (X slaved axis) in the middle of homing procedure one motor will stop and thus start racking the gantry.

I can confirm this happens on my gantry using Axis GUI. An error window is raised and then it stops the movement before the machine really gets itself in a knot.

I think this is a bug in the Axis GUI.

It should disable the behaviour, rather than just report it.

More
09 Jul 2018 10:08 #113860 by Clive S

Clive s wrote But if I hit or catch the left or right arrow keys (X slaved axis) in the middle of homing procedure one motor will stop and thus start racking the gantry
there is no reason to jog before the homing procedure
if you do that in a real machine you may damage it
first when you turn the machine on do the home sequence
if home is done then jog the machine
also you can check forum.linuxcnc.org/47-hal-examples/34072...antry-example#106523

Yes I fully understand "there is no reason to jog before the homing procedure" I do have a fully functional gantry machine with slaved axis but not running linuxcnc as yet. On my machine "that I have had for more than 5 years" before homing I can jog the machine (even slaved axis) but when it is homing to square axis the jog keys for that axis are not functional. This is using a Purelogic Board.

It is easy to catch a key and in my opinion the jog key should be inoperative during the homing period.

The question I asked was "is this normal for behaviour lcnc to be able to inadvertently hit a key and rack the gantry" or have I not configured it correctly? If so is it possible to disable jog keys during homing?

More
09 Jul 2018 10:19 #113861 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Help required 2.8 slaved axis
I've raised an issue for this #461
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues/461
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
09 Jul 2018 10:28 - 09 Jul 2018 10:45 #113863 by Clive S

I've raised an issue for this #461
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues/461

Thanks Rod. Can I asked if this is the way it works with your gantry ie the gantry will rack if you catch a keyboard jog key while homing.

Edit You confirmed it with the comit. I thought I was going barmy :)

My version is:- Linux debian 4.9.0-3-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 4.9.30-2+deb9u2 (2017-06-26) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Last edit: 09 Jul 2018 10:45 by Clive S. Reason: added text
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds