Thread Ration

More
08 Jul 2018 16:06 #113819 by ezekiel
Thread Ration was created by ezekiel
Apologies if this is in the wrong section or it has been answered before but I cannot find it after 2 days of searching.

I have a Sherline with Xylotex stepper motors. The machine was manual with DRO but I upgraded it to CNC and I can get it to run via or config picker or stepconf to a point. All numbers verified on my DRO

Config Picker - Machine runs in jog and the programs I have tried (very basic) but the distance is way off. If I say tell the x axis to move 1 inch it moves 0.5 of an inch. All axis move the same.

StepConf If I go in and tell it I'm using Xylotex on a Sherline and I set the pulley teeth (motor:leadscrew to 1 x 4 and I jog the machine 0.1 it moves consistent 0.0940 (or on a good day 0.1 my DRO is off a little and I don't know how to adjust).

So it would seem StepConf is my way to go so I loaded a basic program into it just moving the x and y to there far points in a rectangle to test and I get a high pitch whine when I hit run and the motors do not move. I stop program hit jog they move fine.

I load up the config picker run the same program it executes and the motors turn just not the correct distances, I have tried editing the ini file that config picker created to adjust Input_scale which I assume it pulley teeth ration and it works but then I get frequency errors and the motors get really hot.

I am using the standard Sherline4axis_inch.ini and standard_pinout.hal file hal has been modified to use the right pins and invert the x plane. Jeff at Xylotex did question why the standard pinout hal was being used instead of the Xylotex hal and all I can say is if I try and use the xylotex hal Linuxcnc crashes.

Any assistance to get the ration correct would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2018 20:30 #113834 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Thread Ration
You should adjust the output_scale not the input, and Linuxcnc has nothing to do with your motors getting hot, that should be adjusted in the drives.

More
08 Jul 2018 21:24 - 08 Jul 2018 21:56 #113843 by ezekiel
Replied by ezekiel on topic Thread Ration
I'll play with the output. As for the other I completely agree but didn't know with the frequency error if the program was sending a signal to overdrive them.

My ini and hal did not have anything that said output_scale so I added it to the ini with no change
Last edit: 08 Jul 2018 21:56 by ezekiel.

More
08 Jul 2018 23:30 #113851 by ezekiel
Replied by ezekiel on topic Thread Ration
Not sure why I had an issue searching the forums but I typed my issue into google and it took me to a forum topic here posted by Big Wave little over a year ago with the same issue. He posted his ini and hal file and I copied them now everything is working.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds