Help, Completely stuck on Homing Problem

More
18 Sep 2018 03:30 #117691 by qto8234
I have a 5 axis gantry style CNC machine XYZCA. The first 4 axis home correctly, but the 5th has a problem.

At first it appears to home correctly, the home offset is applied to coordinate as set in .ini and no errors pop up, but on closer inspection the little homed 'crossed circle' icon is missing in Axis (see pic) and then an error msg appears if I try to go to the MDI tab (see pic).

Hopefully someone more experienced can help with this. .ini and .hal files attached.

File Attachment:

File Name: 5axis.ini
File Size:3 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2018 12:33 #117711 by andypugh
Which kinematics are you using?

You seem to be using a TRT style kinematics (the machine is starting up in joint mode, and not switching to "world" (Cartesian XYZABC) mode.

You might be better off using the development version (2.8) as that is better with non-cartesian machines.

However, I think that the problem is that you have no [AXIS_5] section in the INI. For an XYZAC you need [AXIS_0,1,2,3,5] sections. So the machine has no homing info for the C axis.

More
27 Nov 2018 03:44 #121439 by qto8234
Hi,

Thanks so much for your reply, It seems to have helped but I still feel like something is not right.

Now when I use Machine->Homing->Home Axis A (in Axis, see attached image) it homes C (joint 3) instead of A. Also I notice that it wants axis B to be homed as well, which can only be done, by clicking Home All.

Incidentally it is a 5 axis XYZCA bridge mill, it has no tilting/rotating tables etc. I have used a modified version of 5axiskins.c for kinematics, it has not really best tested yet, as the homing issues have held me up.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments:

More
27 Nov 2018 11:02 #121461 by andypugh
In the version of LinuxCNC that you are using Joint 3 is always A, joint 4 is always B and joint 5 is axis C.

You will need to create dummy axes in the INI for the missing B.

Switching to the development version might make sense, the mapping between joints and axes there is more flexible.

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds