Fadal VH65(DC) 4th axis with 7i77 - where to start?

More
22 Nov 2019 16:48 #150947 by NCPatrol
Heh...I was looking at ebay earlier and flagged a couple of those Copley units to research more later. Even better is that 422 can be had for about $80.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2019 19:59 #150964 by NCPatrol
Question: What do you mean by "rectified 110VAC mains"? Or at least the rectified part?

Reading through the data for the drive, all I'm seeing under power requirements is "24-180VDC Transformer isolated from power mains" I was under the assumption I'd need a DC power supply to feed this thing.

I assume if I ever wanted to get the max speed out of the motor, I'd need to have a 180vdc power supply feeding it? (Not sure if I'd ever actually need this, but who knows?)

More
22 Nov 2019 21:04 - 22 Nov 2019 21:06 #150971 by Todd Zuercher
Do you know what a rectifier is? It is one of the moast basic forms of AC to DC conversion, add a couple of appropriately sized capacitors and you have a simple linear power-supply.

I'd look very closely at some AMC drives such as this one.
www.ebay.com/itm/Advanced-Motion-Control...047675.c100005.m1851

dpk3n3gg92jwt.cloudfront.net/domains/amc...asheet_BD25A20AC.pdf
Even though it is intended for a brush-less motor, it can be used to run an ordinary brush motor by only using one of the 3 output phases and disabling the comutation. (it is all covered in the manual which you can down load from AMC.)
max 120VAC supply
25A max current 12.5Amax continuous (stall)
$50 plus 10.50 shipping
Last edit: 22 Nov 2019 21:06 by Todd Zuercher.

More
22 Nov 2019 23:54 #150987 by andypugh
Direct mains hook-up is a big plus.

More
23 Nov 2019 11:26 #151034 by andypugh

Reading through the data for the drive, all I'm seeing under power requirements is "24-180VDC Transformer isolated from power mains" I was under the assumption I'd need a DC power supply to feed this thing.

It's pretty easy to make an unregulated DC power supply.

Mains in -> bridge rectifier -> suitable smoothing capacitors.

Your manual seems to be suggesting an isolation transformer:

Mains in -> 1:1 isolation transformer -> bridge rectifier -> smoothing caps.

110V AC will rectify to about 150V DC.

If this is not something that you feel comfortable with then the suggested AC-input drive (or similar) looks like the way to go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
23 Nov 2019 15:02 #151045 by JR1050
This isn’t goint to be plug and play... you are using a rotary table intended for a specific machine.
If you use a drive with a built in dc supply and you run it from 110v ac mains, you will end up with 150 volts of dc, that is a 90 volt motor, you will have to scale the input signal by by about 40%. the drive you select will have to be able to tolerate 150v of dc. AMC drives are sized by current /voltage. A 25a20 will push up to 25 amps of 200v dc. On a dc brush motor( and this may apply to brushless also, I don’t know) , motor speed is relative to voltage. If you call Fadal or Rotary Design( they are what is left of the Fadal brothers), they can give you a pin out for the cannon plug on the end of the cable . The plug isnt cheap....

More
23 Nov 2019 15:07 #151047 by NCPatrol
I got a quote back from AMC for the DPRANIR-015S400 and it's over $1300, which is more than I paid for the rotary! So I'm officially ruling that one out.

The Granite one looks perfect, but it's still going to be about $550, and it's coming from Finland, which would concern me on support or warranty if I have problems.

I'm leaning toward and ebay drive paired with the pico to convert the resolver.

Power supply would be my only concern. I'm running out of room in my cabinet and I'd probably prefer a pre-made power supply vs. piecing something together.

More
23 Nov 2019 15:12 #151049 by NCPatrol

This isn’t goint to be plug and play... you are using a rotary table intended for a specific machine.
If you use a drive with a built in dc supply and you run it from 110v ac mains, you will end up with 150 volts of dc, that is a 90 volt motor, you will have to scale the input signal by by about 40%. the drive you select will have to be able to tolerate 150v of dc. AMC drives are sized by current /voltage. A 25a20 will push up to 25 amps of 200v dc. On a dc brush motor( and this may apply to brushless also, I don’t know) , motor speed is relative to voltage. If you call Fadal or Rotary Design( they are what is left of the Fadal brothers), they can give you a pin out for the cannon plug on the end of the cable . The plug isnt cheap....

The motor is 180v.

The pinout on the plug should be easy enough - it's only 6 wires and two of those are motor power. Haven't looked too hard for the wiring, but I'll be shocked if it's not readily available. Should be easy enough.

I've only found one place that sells just the female socket for the plug, but their website was messed up yesterday and I couldn't actually get to it on their site. I can potentially make my own custom harness and not mess up the old one since the wires are all spliced inside the box. Easy enough to run a new cable in there and use my own readily available plug.
Attachments:

More
24 Nov 2019 05:38 #151094 by JR1050
Motor is rated at 180v. I’ll double check on mine tomrw, but I’m about positive that Fadal used a 90 volt supply, as 90 vdc was vey popular for dc motors in cnc machines of that era. Fadal stopped with dc motors in 1996 or 1997. The motor may have been able to move at 100% voltage, but my guess is the Fadal control of the era couldn’t accurately track motion at that speed, the early Fadal control had poor jerk control and acceleration and deceleration control.

More
25 Nov 2019 14:16 #151219 by Todd Zuercher

I got a quote back from AMC for the DPRANIR-015S400 and it's over $1300, which is more than I paid for the rotary! So I'm officially ruling that one out.

The Granite one looks perfect, but it's still going to be about $550, and it's coming from Finland, which would concern me on support or warranty if I have problems.

I'm leaning toward and ebay drive paired with the pico to convert the resolver.

Power supply would be my only concern. I'm running out of room in my cabinet and I'd probably prefer a pre-made power supply vs. piecing something together.

I thought I told you earlier that a new AMC drive would be over $1000, and is why I suggested the used one for $50. (I don't think I'd ever spring for a new one either.)

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds