Setting up an ELO touchscreen for linuxCNC

More
19 Feb 2019 13:15 #126768 by F4br1c4t3D
Tearing my hair out trying to get a touchscreen working with LinuxCNC. It's an ELO TouchSystems EL1519L. I'm using the Debian Wheezy image acquired from the LinuxCNC website.

I have tried following the wikiwiki to get the connection setup via the serial port but I don't think things are working as they should. Inputattach installs just fine, I run modprobe elo (nothing appears to happen i just get a blank prompt again.) I can't install the xinput_claibrator as the repo isn't in wheezy and adding the sid repo just causes synaptics not to launch until I edit the sources list and remove the sid repo. no touch inputs are recognised so far as I can tell so the claibrator is probably useless at this point anyway.

When I connect the device via USB I get somewhere at least. The lsusb command in console shows a recognised device "elo touchsystems" but looking at xinput the device is not being used as in input device. how do I make the link, I'm guessing inputattach is only for serial devices?

I was under the impression that these ELO screens just pretty much worked aside from calibration if anyone has any suggestions (I'm not especially linux savvy) I'd love to hear them. If any further info is required I'm happy to provide it.

Cheers,

Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2019 18:01 #126777 by pl7i92
the USER mast be in Dialout
did you check this

sudo adduser <the user you want to add> dialout
sudo reboot
id -Gn

or maybe

sudo usermod -a -G dialout $USER
sudo usermod -a -G dialout $USER
#(worked perfectly)
and sudo chmod 666 /dev/ttyUSB0 (worked but had to type the command again)
The following user(s) said Thank You: F4br1c4t3D

More
19 Feb 2019 19:51 #126785 by F4br1c4t3D
Cheers for the suggestion but I'm "already a member of 'dialout'" at least that's what it tells me when I run the command you suggested.

More
19 Feb 2019 22:58 #126794 by InMyDarkestHour
There was a lengthy discussion with Techno about this.
The search function maybe of use.
You may also try serching for any references regarding this touch screen and debian outside of the Linuxcnc forum, you may get more hits.

More
19 Feb 2019 23:31 - 19 Feb 2019 23:36 #126795 by Grotius
Steven,

about touch screen's in 32 bit :

So problem to solve :

copy and past in terminal : sudo gedit /etc/modules
Okey now add this to the text file :

Toggle line numbers (this is an old text i used.... but i think it means comment out some lines. )

1 # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
2 #
3 # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
4 # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.
5 # grotius added 27-2-2018 "hid_multitouch"
6 loop
7 lp
8 hid_multitouch
9 usbhid
10 rtc

Okey then save and close the text file.
Copy and paste in the same terminal for activating touchscreen : sudo modprobe hid_multitouch

Touch screen is working.

source : forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...-and-linuxcnc#106591

I remembered this, so i post you the link. I hope it solves your problem. Good luck buddy !
Last edit: 19 Feb 2019 23:36 by Grotius.

More
20 Feb 2019 00:24 #126796 by F4br1c4t3D
Cheers for the lead on the lengthy discussion, sounds interesting I'll see if I can find it. I've done a ton of searching across the web. Literally 2 days of solid googling. I 'm a serial lurker most of the time and I'll usually only ask questions on a forum if I'm really out of useful search results. I don't think I've come across the thread you mentioned though. I'll have a look now.

More
20 Feb 2019 00:28 #126797 by F4br1c4t3D
Thanks Grotius,

I tried the steps you outlined but I still have no touch input.

The monitor I have is not multitouch it's single point only which had me thinking it might not be the solution I was looking for. It could be using hid though is there a none multitouch hid module I can load?

More
20 Feb 2019 00:35 #126798 by Grotius
Steven,

In the file it called a hid_multitouch for a hansg touch screen. How about your monitor name?

More
20 Feb 2019 00:41 - 20 Feb 2019 00:47 #126799 by Grotius
sudo apt-get install read-edid
sudo get-edid | parse-edid

Try this command's.

I got a nice output on my old windows 95 pc with a monitor from 2007..... :woohoo: :silly:
Try to find more information. A new Hansg touch screen cost's about 250 dollar. It works directly on 64 bit systems.
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Feb 2019 00:47 by Grotius.

More
20 Feb 2019 01:28 #126801 by F4br1c4t3D
Grotius,

Thanks for the suggestion on getting extra info. The screen is actually called ELO1915 not 1519 as I said in my OP.

It's made by Elo and its identified by lsusb as "Elo TouchSystems"

vendor ID 04e7 :0073

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds