Stepper Conf in Config files

More
25 Mar 2019 19:16 #129606 by buckaboobob
Looking for info on where/how to configure stepper drivers in the config files... (Everything keeps pointing me to the stepperconfwizard but I am using a different stepper driver on one axis) Can't seem to find the info in the online manual..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2019 20:35 #129611 by Todd Zuercher
What kind of instructions are you looking for?

Scale and Minimum signal timings are really the only settings that there are for a step motor. Stepconfig doesn't really give the option of using different timings for each drive, but it is possible to set different timings for each by hand editing the hal file. However there usually isn't much to be gained by doing this. Most of the time it would be simplest to set the timing for all the drives to the minimums of the slowest drive + some safety margin. If using the slowest drive's timings is too restrictive for the speeds required of the faster drives, simply hand edit the minimum time settings for each drive with a text editor. The wizard does have provisions for setting everything else up for each individual drive (scale, max velocity and max acceleration).

More
25 Mar 2019 21:03 - 25 Mar 2019 21:06 #129613 by buckaboobob
Thats pretty much what I am after... Where is the docs is the info about what setting up stepper values in the hal file...

The only lines I see in the hal file are
setp stepgen.2.dirhold 46000
setp stepgen.2.dirsetup 27000

I don't see anything obvious about pulse duration/spacing in the hal file and the documentation doesn't seem to touch on the topic..

Edit..

Looking back at it... I do see the other two values... they were set to 1... instead of the values I had in the stepper conf.. Too busy digging through documentation and values I entered instead of the names
Last edit: 25 Mar 2019 21:06 by buckaboobob.

More
26 Mar 2019 01:43 #129633 by Todd Zuercher
They were set to 1 because your configuration is set up to use the parallel port reset feature so that 1 step per basethread cycle is possible.
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/parallel-port.html#_using_doublestep

More
26 Mar 2019 08:46 #129660 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic Stepper Conf in Config files
the numbers can go way beond that and got a good running mashine

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds