Remote start button

More
27 Apr 2019 20:47 #132123 by tcninja
Remote start button was created by tcninja
Hello all,
I am adding an indexer to a new Haas VF4 at my work. We couldn't justify a full fourth axis from Haas
I have an old 4th axis I will just use as an indexer. I couldnt find a easy place to interface to the haas control.
I planned on just putting a switch inside the so the Haas would go over and push the button when one side
of the part was complete. Linux would just rotate (x)degrees everytime the tool pushes the button.
(we are drilling nearly 8000 holes radially around a tube so dont really want to stand there and push start :)
Just a point in the direction in the docs would be great
I did look at the run\ pause run example in the forum here but its more than I need

Thanks in advance
Terry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2019 23:51 - 27 Apr 2019 23:53 #132133 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Remote start button
In this video, my friend Scott is using an Arduino based rotary table controller indexer I wrote to index a part on a machine without a 4th Axis. He uses a proximity sensor under gcode control to do the button pressing (about 5 minutes in).

The code is here (but make sure you do the update mentioned in the thread)
www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads...le-controller.25091/

More recently there was a suggestion that you might be able to use a M40 on a Fanuc control to trigger a relay but the Arduino would need to return another signal to signify the indexing was completed. If your machine has this feature, I think this would be a fairly simple modification to the code in the GoDivide() function combined with a hardware interrupt to see the relay come on.

This seems to be exactly what you need... I think you'd have to pay attention to the indexer gearing as on a 90:1 rotary table with a 1.8 degree stepper, you have 18,000 discrete steps (or 180,000 with 10x microstepping). but with 8,000 holes, that is 2.25 stepper steps per division. The indexer will then step 2 steps per division until it accumulates a full step of error when it will add one step to the next division. With 10x microstepping, there would be 22.5 steps per division so every second step , it go 23 steps but I'm not sure how accurate position holding would be. 0.9 degree stepper would be better..... But maybe you have a servo on your indexer....
Last edit: 27 Apr 2019 23:53 by rodw.

More
27 Apr 2019 23:57 #132134 by rodw
Hmm, looks like your mill has 8 additional M code relays as standard...
www.haascnc.com/productivity/control/8m.html
You can do this!

More
28 Apr 2019 00:13 - 28 Apr 2019 00:17 #132137 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Remote start button
That could easily be done with an arduino, Linuxcnc is overkill for that.
On the other side, an arduino, a tiny monitor, some buttons or an encoder, power supply, time to program it, etc will quickly get over the price of a used computer that runs Linuxcnc nicely.
What kind of motor/drive does the 4th axis use ?
Did not see any of the answers, i open a bunch of tabs and read through, so by the time i got to read this Rod was already here ! :)
Thank you.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2019 00:17 by tommylight. Reason: more info
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
28 Apr 2019 06:30 - 28 Apr 2019 06:35 #132161 by tcninja
Replied by tcninja on topic Remote start button
Thanks for your response but I don’t have any interest adurino
I don’t need any stepper lessons cause it’s a servo 4th axis
It’s not 8000 holes in one radial circle there are rows of about 250
It’s a new Haas so I’m not going to mess with any wiring in the back.
I know there is plenty of M functions on the Haas control but not necessary.
I’ve already have a functioning 4th axis just need the remote start button.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2019 06:35 by tcninja.

More
28 Apr 2019 13:58 #132178 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Remote start button
You just looking for a remote cycle start button?

net cycle-start <= hm2_5i25.0.7i77.0.0.input-12 halui.mode.auto halui.program.run

More
28 Apr 2019 16:41 #132187 by tcninja
Thank you
input.xx halui.mode.auto halui.program .run— this is what I needed

I’ve been using LinuxCNC for at least 10 years on a Hurco VMC and a HardingeHNC. Just never used a separate start button, always used a keyboard. I tried to avoid asking this simple question as not to look dumb.
I’ve met Chris Morley, Andy Pugh, Jon Elson when at Stuart’s place. Hope they don’t see this.

More
28 Apr 2019 21:11 #132195 by rodw
I know its a new machine but really, if they have provided you with relays in the back for customer accessories, you will have support to use them. At least look at the manual for instructions or ask their support how they are used. IT will be designed in such a way that you can't break anything. Its not really any different to me interfacing a plasma cutter using the manufacturer provided interface.

The M code relay could be your start button and it would be simple to assert another signal at the end of your g code program.

Think about the improvements in run time you would achieve. No need to waste time moving to press a switch and no risk of indexing before a cycle is complete. Just insert an M code and the machine will patiently wait for your indexing to complete and resume operation.

More
28 Apr 2019 23:23 #132202 by tcninja
I looked in the back at the relay area
I was hoping at least M7(mist coolant)was there because that’s not an option code, thought there would at least be a place to hook something up. Looked to me if you didn’t order it it’s not there. I’ll look again. Only thing he let me do wiring wise was bypass the door interlocks. They don’t make that easy anymore

More
28 Apr 2019 23:36 #132204 by rodw

I looked in the back at the relay area
I was hoping at least M7(mist coolant)was there because that’s not an option code, thought there would at least be a place to hook something up. Looked to me if you didn’t order it it’s not there. I’ll look again. Only thing he let me do wiring wise was bypass the door interlocks. They don’t make that easy anymore

Ah well it was a good idea!

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds