hit limit in home state 10

More
24 Jun 2019 15:54 #137741 by norbertfarquharsh
I have been searching for documentation on Linuxcnc errors and can only find one reference to the error that
is stopping my cnc gantry. The reference that I found was very old and some things have changed a lot since then
so I did not look at it extensively.
The error that comes up is "hit limit switch in home state 10" along with "joint X on limit switch error' where X may be either 1 or 2 which are the two joints on the Y axis. There is a minimum/homing limit switch on both joints.
This error occurs when the machine is initiated and the homing attempt is made so the machine is not operational unless the homing information is commented out and homing is done manually.
I have no idea of what to do to correct this problem and would appreciate suggestions on how to proceed .
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2019 17:26 - 24 Jun 2019 17:28 #137744 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic hit limit in home state 10
My guess is that your current home settings in the ini file
and limit wiring in the hal file (shared home/limit) are not
compatible because you will be on the limit at the end of homing.

I think you need to set HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS to YES
and perhaps use a HOME value that moves the joint off the
home/limit switch as the final home sequence.
Last edit: 24 Jun 2019 17:28 by PCW.

More
25 Jun 2019 00:22 #137763 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic hit limit in home state 10
What version of Linuxcnc are you using? If you are using 2.8 or Master branch (2.9) there is better support for Gantries but it seems that you have got an ini file set up for 4 joints and only 3 in your hal file. So I would.
1. upgrade to V2.8/2.9 if you are running V 2.7
2. Copy and paste one of the stepgen sections in your hal file and set it up to refer to the missing joint.
3. Make sure you joint axes both have -1 for HOME_SEQUENCE in your Ini file and the other joints are numbered from 0-1 in the order you want them to home. Or set them both to 0 so they home together. This is not set up for 2.8/2.9 presently

More
25 Jun 2019 23:34 #137835 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic hit limit in home state 10

I have no idea of what to do to correct this problem and would appreciate suggestions on how to proceed .

I think the problem is that HOME_OFFSET = 0.
So HOME is at Zero, then it rapids to Zero at the end of homing, and then finds itself on the limit switches.

Your config is clearly a 2.8 version, so that's all good.

I suggest trying a HOME_OFFSET of 0.5 and a MIN_LIMIT of 0. Try HOME = 10 then make sure that you can't jog on to the limit switches. (This is all for both Y joints)

More
25 Jun 2019 23:42 #137837 by rodw
Great Andy has confirmed a 2.8 build. I've experienced this problem. It sounds like you are using a shared limit switch so when the joint comes out of homing, the sensor is now a limit switch and its active so Linuxcnc faults. The solution is to use HOME_OFFSET to move the axis off the sensor at the end of the homing sequence.

One of the reasons why separate home and limit switches are my preferred option.

But as I said there are more problems to solve in your config.

More
26 Jun 2019 01:14 #137846 by norbertfarquharsh
I am away more than I am home so I am slow to respond, even to say thank you for your help.
When I start axis. the banner at the top states 2.9.0-pre0-135-g71bbc-3c.
And there is only one switch on each of the joints; shared home/limit. I have only
a parallel port to control the machine and not enough pins to provide for extra switches. If it is a requirement, I will have to add a parallel port card and wiring and switches.
If I need to do that, I will do it first before I look at the other suggestions.

Thanks again.

More
26 Jun 2019 02:18 #137852 by rodw
No you will be OK with shared limit switches. Just add a HOME_OFFSET so at the end of homing the limit is not activated.

Then clean up your config. I suspect stepconf is not good with gantries and has left some stuff out so you need to hand edit your files.

Time to create page: 0.474 seconds