Making a new non-simulated configuration

More
02 Oct 2019 22:42 #146909 by Scot
Hello, all!

So I'm getting ever closer to getting this retrofit I've been working on nearly every day for about 5 weeks! It's getting exciting! One major thing needs to be done, for sure, being getting the spindle to operate. But then It's about 90% complete.

But now I have a new issue.

When I first started to configure things, I chose a mill layout and I actually need a lathe setup. I can make it work with what I have, but I'd like it to function with what I know works. The lathe gui is much more appropriate. I'm sure some will ask why I did it the way that I did, and the short answer is that I didn't really have enough info but I wanted to get things started due to time constraints. No, this isn't advisable, but that's how I did it. So now, migrating the configuration is what I would like to do.

What I want to know is how do I start a functioning lathe configuration. When I start up AXIS, I get a choice of starting my current configuration, but I don't get a non-simulation choice to start a lathe configuration. There is a simulation guy for the lathe AXIS configuration, but not for a configurable and workable Lathe setup.

Anyone done this before? Do I have to delete my current configuration, then restart Linuxcnc and start anew? If that's the case, I'm sure that any files that were changed from a stock set should be backed up and then used to replace the files in the new configuration. No problem, if that's the case. Just looking for a quick process. This machine is meant to make money and I'm about a month past the goal date.

Thanks again! This list is a heck of an awesome thing! And LinuxCNC is AWESOME! It's a hell of a learning curve, but I don't quit easy. Now I just need to migrate my info to a lathe configuration. And I cannot wait to contribute to help the newbs!

Scot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2019 00:45 #146924 by tommylight
Method 1
Leave the existing config as is, copy it and rename the copy to something lathe, edit the hal and ini file deleting anything pertaining to axis Y or joint.1..
Method 2
start stepconfig and make a new config for lathe, you do not have to delete the old one. You can have as many different configs as you like.
Method 3
start stepconfig and make a new config for lathe with all the default values, just click next to all and save. Open the hal and ini file and copy from the existing one only the parts for axis X and Z and joint.0. and joint.2.
All of those work, just a bit of care while copying things over.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scot

More
03 Oct 2019 00:59 #146930 by Scot
I thought it was going to be kind of simple. You really made that easy. Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
03 Oct 2019 01:02 #146931 by tommylight
You are very welcomed.

More
03 Oct 2019 01:45 #146938 by Scot
Just when I thought it was easy.

So I went looking for stepconfig. I don't know where to find it to start it. Forgive my ignorance. Any pointers?

Scot

More
03 Oct 2019 08:46 #146964 by tommylight
What did you use to create the original config ?
Stepconf wizard <<<this is right, the above was wrong, is found in the same menu where Linuxcnc is, or you can start it in a terminal with:
stepconf

More
03 Oct 2019 15:37 #146986 by OT-CNC
Did I read somewhere earlier that you are using a servo system on the lathe controlled with Pico hardware?

I'm not familiar with pico double check with them what is the right configurator.

But in general, you find the sample configs, stepconfig and pncconfig wizards and docs under the applications menu (upper left corner), under CNC. When you pick a sample machine, pay attention where it saves the main file so you can then edit the ini and hal files manually or run pncconfig to get you a close config. You'll have to edit it to work with pico if that's what you're using.

Since you have a working axis, copy that axis section in the ini with the tuning parameters etc over to your new lathe ini.

More
03 Oct 2019 16:05 #146990 by Scot
I used the drop down menu for "by interface". I didn't use stepconf because I'm using a Pico-Systems PWM board and brushless servos, not steppers. When LinuxCNC starts and the Pico selection is given, it doesn't give an option for a Lathe Gui using the files to interface with that system. I actually never used stepconf. This is probably why I was kind of lost. I was looking for a 'by interface' dropdown.

More
03 Oct 2019 16:08 #146992 by Scot
Yes, I'm running Pico-Systems PWM board and Brushless drives.

There isn't a lathe option for Pico boards, apparently. The general option doesn't actually fit, from what I can see.

So maybe if I can rename the file to something more appropriate and then alter the files to mask or ignore the other axes?

I'll contact Jon, too. But if there is anything someone could help me see that I'm missing, that would be fantastic.

Scot

More
03 Oct 2019 17:04 #146995 by tommylight
You can ignore the post i made above about using stepconf! :)

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds