Stepper stall

More
09 Apr 2020 10:08 #163313 by pedersen
Stepper stall was created by pedersen
I have a really hard time to get configuration dialed in for my CNC. It is getting better and better, but I am still see to many "random" stepper stalls which destroys my jobs.

I have recently with great success updated the base period maximum jitter to 25000, which is a bit above the ~21000 that I could measure. And better than the previous configuration of 20000.

I also set to StepTime/StepSpace/DirectionHold/DirectionSetup to a safe 20 000, which did a great difference. I was able to get way better speeds and acceleration and actually it was hard, impossible i thought, to stall the machine.

All axis are configured with 55mm/s and 200 mm/s^2.

There was a stall in an g0, so i have dropped the max speed to ~ 2000mm/s in Axis.

However I am a bit bewildered because I got a stall loosing steps on the z-axis and now I able to trigger it consistently by running stepconfs back and forth for approx less than 1min and then the stepper start to stall on almost all moves. It does not feel hot neither does the stepper driver, nor the nut on the trapezoidal screw. Does anybody have a good idea as to what that could be? And how i can configure the system to avoid it?

And in general what can I do to make sure that my configuration does not cause a weird stall after X hours of machining? Torture tests?

Mechanics:
www.cnc1.eu/en/kompas-h1000-kit.htm CNC with trapezoidal lead screws
Steppers
Wantai 57BYGH115-003B
StepperDrivers:
DQ542MA
Random Chinese BOB via LPT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2020 12:06 - 09 Apr 2020 12:06 #163318 by bbsr_5a
Replied by bbsr_5a on topic Stepper stall
can you add your ini and hal so we see what is in there
you may need to set the jitter to 50000
the Driver setting is
DIRSETUP = 15000
DIRHOLD = 10000
STEPLEN = 5000
STEPSPACE = 5000

This steppers do not rotate above 120U/sec your setting is 315U/sec
so reduce to
VEL=30
ACC =120
then it shoudt run with no errors
Last edit: 09 Apr 2020 12:06 by bbsr_5a. Reason: wrong number
The following user(s) said Thank You: pedersen

More
09 Apr 2020 12:38 #163327 by Mike_Eitel
Replied by Mike_Eitel on topic Stepper stall
If you have the motors stay cold, i would guess that you are not on the optimal current point, probably you are low.
And your drivers, do they get hot? Do you run them with high enoug voltage?
Is your supply "hard" enough to determine liver enough current at good voltage.
And is your cabling alltime ok, no short interupts.

P. S.
I ask you also your motor / driver choice seems to be ok

More
09 Apr 2020 12:41 #163328 by pedersen
Replied by pedersen on topic Stepper stall
Thank you!

I tried entering the values in stepconf.

But the Z axis stalled out again. I could run it at 20mm/s for some time without seeing any errors so for now it will stay there.. (there is a watercooled 2.2kw spindle on it, and that is a bit heavy).

However I cannot understand how it stalls out, it appears as overheating, but the motors does not feel (really) hot.

I have attached my configuration files. (the microsteps seems off but it matches travel distance, but the z-axis should have no microstepping? 400steps/rev in driver pins)
Attachments:

More
09 Apr 2020 12:44 #163329 by pedersen
I run a very overpowered PSU with 48 V (rated at 78Amps)

The motors do get hot, but touchable and not burning.

More
09 Apr 2020 13:10 #163335 by Mike_Eitel
I would never run a 50V rated driver with 48V. Too narow. I'm not sure if your driver does a overvoltage protection. And if your are breaking, how high is your voltage. If it is a switched psu, do you have some capacitance added anyhow.

More
09 Apr 2020 13:37 #163346 by pedersen
Its a switched psu, and it may be narrow and but I am hoping/betting that its ok.
I do not have any extra capicitance (its like this www.taiwantrade.com/product/fuji-power-s...51-5681-1066548.html) I am just assuming that it is able to deliver.

More
09 Apr 2020 13:40 - 09 Apr 2020 13:41 #163347 by pedersen
hmm i tried running the zaxis 18 mm/s and 120 mm/s^s, back and forth continuously.

Still after 5 minutes it stalls out. But the time before it start to "overheat"/"overload" is increasing. So it must be possible to decrease to a safe point.
Last edit: 09 Apr 2020 13:41 by pedersen.

More
09 Apr 2020 15:31 #163366 by Mike_Eitel
Ivm only guessing but would concebtrate on the DQ542MA.. I downloaded a manual, but i don't know if this is only a copy, or your driver a copy of...
In this not very narrative manual driver is described to have an overvoltage protection. But i see only one led, and no description of blink modes etc..
Can you see something on the controller when stalling

More
09 Apr 2020 15:36 #163367 by Mike_Eitel
Not sure, but aren't there some holes with adjust-potentiometers. I believe to see something below the handle. Then i woud try to go for 45V to see if something changes

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds