Different MAX_VELOCITY on different Axes

More
19 May 2020 17:03 #168285 by kjames
Hi all,
I have an old Sieg-X3 rebranded mill that I converted to CNC years ago but I never managed to get it to work right. Fast forward to now and I now have garage space and funds to get it properly working.
It's running off a RPi4 with a TB6600 4-axis board. I have everything working, but all three axes have different maximum velocities before they start to lose steps. I've figured out the max safe velocity for each axis using Fxxx/G1 commands. I have put these in the MAX_VELOCITY settings in the .ini file for the three axes and joints.

My problem is that when I run a program generated from CamBam it uses a lot of G0 to move in between operations and these don't seem to honour the MAX_VELOCITY on each axis, instead they seem to honour the slider in the UI (AXIS). I kind of assumed G0 would go at the lower of MAX_VELOCITY or the UI slider, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Am I configuring something wrong? Happy to provide any more info if I missed something out..

Thanks,
Kev.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2020 23:59 #168320 by cmorley
post your config files please

More
20 May 2020 09:30 #168350 by kjames
Thanks! Please find attached
Attachments:

More
20 May 2020 10:16 #168354 by Clive S
What version of linuxcnc ?

MAX_VELOCITY = 2400.0 this seems very high if I am not mistaken this is in machine units per sec. So 144M/min

More
20 May 2020 10:19 #168355 by tommylight
Can your machine do 144 meter per minute ?
The velocities in the ini file are in mm/s, and yours are all over the place, they should be:
in the display section and the traj section, can be a bit more than any individual axis, so moving two axis at the same time will still allow for each axis to reach MAX VELOCITY.
each axis/joint has two max velocity, one for axis and one for joint, they should be the same, although it will work even if they are not.
If your machine can do 2400mm/m, set them to 40mm/s, time 60 gives you 2.4m/m
The following user(s) said Thank You: kjames

More
20 May 2020 10:27 #168360 by kjames
Thanks guys,

I think I may have got a bit mixed up with units. I was using F commands to keep upping the speed of each axis and then using G1 back and forth until I got missed steps, then backed off a bit. That's where I got the 2400 from..

It sounds like, from what you're saying, that the F speed is mm/min, and the MAX_VELOCITY is mm/sec. Is this correct? If so I can go change those numbers and hopefully everything will be good.

And I'm using version 2.9.0 pre 0

Thanks,
Kev.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
20 May 2020 10:42 #168364 by tommylight

It sounds like, from what you're saying, that the F speed is mm/min, and the MAX_VELOCITY is mm/sec. Is this correct? If so I can go change those numbers and hopefully everything will be good.

Yes and yes.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds