Spindle speed control via VFD on a Vari Speed 2J Bridgeport

More
19 Oct 2020 19:26 #186609 by rogerfries
With my VFD I can control the motor speed from only a few Hz up to 200 Hz. It's my understanding the motor produces the most power at 60 Hz. If my Varispeed head was cranked up to 3,500 and My VFD try's to command 100 RPM I'll have no power at all. In Mach 3, I utilized the step pulley feature where I carved out RPM ranges so the VFD had reasonable range it could work within. I had it configured My Varispeed head as if it was a step pulley head something like pulley 1 set head to 1,000 RPM, Pulley 2 the head set to 2,000 RPM Pulley 3 head set to 3,000 RPM. Any advice on how to do this in Linux CNC? I've done a good bit of searching, but I haven't found anything yet, no doubt I'm using the wrong search terms. Again I do have linuxCNC altering the VFD speed, but I need to set speed ranges by "Pulley".

Thanks!

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2020 11:27 #186669 by rogerfries
I think instead, I'm just going to have the spindle switched on and off by computer and I'll just dial in the speed with the vari-speed manually. there were a couple of times where I had issues being on the wrong pully setting. I'm thinking I'll just take full manual responsibility for the speed since it can't be fully automated. I suppose someday I could get fancy and mount a stepper to the Vari-speed control.

I did cut my first parts in Linux CNC. It worked just fine. I managed to break an endmill, but that was my fault, not the software.

More
20 Oct 2020 14:42 #186691 by andypugh
I a not clear if the varispeed is controlled by the software in the Mach3 config you refer to?

In theory it should be fairly easy, if the varispeed is motorised. You would run at nominal 60 hz and adjust the speed with the varispeed, and then alter the frequency if the Varispeed was on one or other end-stop.

I think I would use a PID controller HAL component to position the varispeed and a lincurve HAL component to set the VFD frequency according to commanded speed.
The back-gear is a complication that I will come to later.

If the nominal speeds in high speed at 50 Hz are 500 to 3000 then you would set up the lincurve (rpm, frequency) as
(0, 0)
(500, 50)
(3000, 50)
(12000,200)
To use a PID to control the varispeed you would need some sort of spindle speed feedback. Do you have that set up?

More
21 Oct 2020 00:19 #186770 by rogerfries
My Varispeed is not motorized. In Mach, I set it up as if it was a step pulley head. Rather than move the belt to pulley 1, I'd dial the vari-speed manually to say 1000. Pully 2 might be 2,000, etc. I also currently have no encoder for any feedback

I think I'm going to skip this fancy setup and just dial the head to the speed I need and keep it simple. Although I'm still interested to know how this would be accomplished.

Thanks

More
21 Oct 2020 08:15 #186797 by andypugh
You can't do anything fancy without some form of feedback, either spindle speed, varispeed actuator position or something in the GUI which the operator uses to tell the system where he has put the adjuster.

Of these, the best is adding a spindle encoder so that you can run closed-loop and do rigid tapping etc.

(Or even single-point threading)

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds