Supporting both manual and automatic tool changes?

More
29 Oct 2020 07:59 #187659 by JetForMe
My router can do both automatic and manual tool changes. Up until now I've only had support for manual tool changes, but I made a bunch of progress writing subroutines for automatic changes, and now I'm wondering how I can support both in a program.

In Fusion 360 you can specify if a tool is to be manually changed or automatically. I can use the post processor to alter the gcode output, but I'm not sure how to write code for manual and automatic changes in the same program. M6 will do one or the other, right?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2020 08:54 #187664 by Aciera
I guess you could remap the M6 command to take an additional parameter to specify manual or automatic tool change or you could define a new M command for one or the other.

More
30 Oct 2020 23:18 #187849 by Stepping3D
Not sure I am much help with LinuxCNC, but can you not just specify tool 1 to 10 (for example) as automatic and 10 to 99 as manual, and then the machine will pick up whether it is manual or automatic based on tool number? I am about to set this up myself, and just automatically assumed that this would be the general idea...

More
02 Nov 2020 16:13 - 02 Nov 2020 16:24 #188121 by anfänger
I remapped the M6 to an own code. and simply check if the tool is in the tool changer (eg by pocket number on my machine I use parameters for the tools in the changer, so I check these). If yes then there is an automatic tool change. If not The tool will be changed manually. Details are depending on your machine.

But I you work with a post processor your simply can write M6 for automatic tool change und use M106 for manual tool change
Last edit: 02 Nov 2020 16:24 by anfänger.

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds