Solidworks Cam and Tool Offset confusion

More
09 Nov 2020 03:03 #188714 by jacky4566
So I am a novice CNC operator with a custom 3 axis machine running a Mesa 7I96. I've had my first successful cuts and quickly learned that my tool offsets are not exact enough.

I am using Solidworks CAM 2020 to generate my G-code. In SW you tell it the tools and tool length "protrusion". Then it can generate the G-code more adeptly based on the tools/ holders. However my machine uses a Jacobs chuck so every tool change wont have the exact same protrusion. Or I may want to change the protrusion to reduce stick out wobble.

What's the best method to generate g-code so I can have the machine do the tool offsets, G10 codes. But without losing all the VoluMill functions in solidworks?

Or do I use gauge blocks so the tool rests at a specific height defined in the code, then tighten the chuck?

I don't have any tool setting devices yet other than a basic manual caliper. Open to suggestions here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2020 03:10 #189858 by spacemanspiffee
I haven't used solidworks CAM myself, but I have used a couple of different CAM packages and different interfaces.

A couple things. First is that a Jacob's chuck is not designed for milling use. They are designed for drilling applications where the forces are strictly axial, meaning that all the forces applied to the tool and by extension to the chuck are pointed along the axis of rotation of the chuck.

I would suggest getting a milling chuck if you want to use a chuck, but collets are a better solution if you can interface them with your spindle. How is your Jacob's chuck attached to your spindle? is it a morse taper?

Regarding tool offsets:

The typical process in a machine that you don't have a tool changer for would be to post a separate Gcode file for each tool.

Set your work coordinate system (usually G54) somewhere that you can reference with each tool change. This might be with Z=0 on your machine's table or the top of your vise or the top of your stock in an area you won't machine away.

With your work coordinate system active in linuxcnc insert your tool into your spindle and secure it. Then jog to where you are going to set z=0 and use a piece of paper or a 123 block and jog downward slowly while moving the paper or 123 block around until you feel contact with the tool. Then you set this as your z=0. If you use a 123 block then it will actually be z=1" and if you use paper it will be around 0.004"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds