Converting from 2.7 with parport to 2.8.4 with 7i96s

More
16 Nov 2022 12:26 #256850 by jvanick
My old controller pc finally bit the dust (can't complain too much as it's been in a dusty environment since 2009 or so when I built the machine (running on emc2.4!!!).

I'm replacing it with a new pc, and decided to abandon some of the fun timing-related issues that come with parallel port machines, and replace the parallel interface to my gecko g540 with a new mesa board.  I got the idc to 25 pin ribbon cable adapter and the cables to attach it to the g540 and will be attempting to use the mesa-g540 firmware image that someone provided here on the board.

Is there a simple way to convert my (thankfully saved) configuration files that I was using on 2.7 to 2.8.4 with the mesa?  

I have a dual-motor Y axis on my machine, and I'm worried about trying to get the logic correct again (the original files are dated 2009!), so it would be far easier if I could just change the pin names in the .hal file to match what it's expecting.

I attached config files if anybody is interested in taking a look at how much trouble I might be causing myself doing it this way?

Or is it easier to just re-gen everything from scratch using pncconf?

Thanks in advance!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2022 18:18 #256874 by Todd Zuercher
There isn't simple way of converting a parallel port config into a 7i96s config. Mostly because this won't be a plug compatible change. You will be moving the control wirign from Parallel port BOB terminals to the new Mesa card's terminals The easiest path would be to build a new config for the 7i96s. Now if you were doing a switch to a Mesa DB-25 card (such as a 5i25 or 7i92 and retaining your old parallel port wiring scheme, then it might be theoretically possible for a conversion script to convert your old config to a Mesa one. But I'm not sure anyone has actually bothered to creatsuch a conversion program. Also There could be a further fly in the ointment of such a plan, if your existing parallel port config uses a pin in a way that might be incompatible with how the Mesa card's firmware is setup (such as step-gens on the wrong pins.)

More
16 Nov 2022 19:15 - 16 Nov 2022 19:16 #256880 by PCW
I would simply start over with pncconf or mesact.
A 7I96S hal file will be so different from a parallel port
configuration that It would likely be much more work
to try and convert a parallel port configuration rather than
starting from scratch.

I would use you existing .ini file as a reference for various
machine constants as you create the new configuration.
Last edit: 16 Nov 2022 19:16 by PCW.

More
16 Nov 2022 19:22 #256882 by tommylight
The worry about two motors on Y axis is not warranted as LinuxCNC from 2.7 and up has that solved very nicely, in fact you can have more than two motors on the same axis if you might ever need that.
Use PncConf to make a new config, make sure to choose a normal XYZ, then when choosing stepgens choose one as normal axis for Y and the other for Tandem Y.
That is all there is to it, the wizard takes care of everything, you might just need to add a - in front of scale for one of the Y joints to change direction, depending on how you drive train is setup.

More
16 Nov 2022 20:57 #256899 by jvanick
awesome... that's great news... off the deep end of reconfig I go!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds