LHB04 jog wheel - movement delayed

More
03 Dec 2022 17:02 - 05 Dec 2022 19:27 #258440 by grl
Hi @all!

trying to add a LHB04 handwheel (the one with the USB cable) to my linuxcnc/triple beast cnc.
Using linux cnc 2.8.4 out of a default linuxcnc iso file.

To enable the wheel I added HALFILE=LIB:xhc-hb04.tcl to my ini, included a layout file for the buttons and added a XHC_HB04_CONFIG section to my ini as it's described in /usr/share/doc/linuxcnc

Buttons work as expected, machine moves when turning the wheel.

Unfortunately - especially when I set the step to 100 or 1000 - the axis accelerates really slow and stops moving long after I stopped moving the wheel.

All the information I could find is outdated and does not work with the xhc-hb04.tcl

So I'm stuck here.
What I want to achieve is, that the machine moves when I turn the jog wheel more or less as it does when I press the according buttons on my screen (using probe basic).The on screen buttons and the speed selection works perfectly for my need - but I couldn't get the wheel to behave in a similar way...

I tried playing around with the MPG_ACCELS parameter in my ini - that didn't give any usable results.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

ini and hal file of my mill is attached...

thanks
Lukas
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Dec 2022 19:27 by grl.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2022 00:21 #258542 by andypugh
Have you read the comments in the XHC file?

github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master.../hallib/xhc-hb04.tcl

You could try jogmode=vnormal and that will probably make the axis stop when the jogwheel stops.

More
05 Dec 2022 11:58 - 05 Dec 2022 11:59 #258578 by grl
Yes - I read every bit of documentation I found...

jogmode=vnormal did not change anything.

if I set the step to 100 or 1000 and turn the wheel the selected axis will start moving, accelerating slowly - moving - and then slowing down again.
At step 1000 if I turn the wheel one click the whole movement will last several seconds.

If I press the according button on the probe basic screen there is no visible acceleration phase and the movement stops in fractions of a second. So I assume that the basic configuration of the axes is correct...

really clueless right now...

Lukas
Last edit: 05 Dec 2022 11:59 by grl.

More
05 Dec 2022 12:08 #258580 by andypugh
#MPG_ACCELS = 25500 25500 25500 25500
MPG_ACCELS = 1 1 1 1

Try making these numbers much higher, 150 150 150 150 would match the joint limits.

More
05 Dec 2022 15:22 #258604 by grl
Did that already - no effect.
That's where I ran out of ideas as I thought this parameter is for controlling the accelleration.

Tried first the values suggested in the readmes setting them slightly below the joint limits (130 130 130 130 if I remember right), then really low (1 1 1 1 1) - I could not see any difference in the movement. (I didn't measure it, so it could be a slight difference - but far away from what it should be imho).

Thanks
Lukas

More
05 Dec 2022 15:51 #258607 by andypugh
I think those probably are the required setting, from the issue description, and the current values do appear to be small.

I don't know when the values are written, or how, but the TCL script will only be run when the config is loaded. Did you close-down LinuxCNC, unplug the pendant, re-plug the pendant and re-start LinuxCNC when you made the change?

More
05 Dec 2022 15:53 #258608 by grl
Closed linuxcnc but did not unplug the pendant - will try that next when back home.

Thanks
Lukas

More
05 Dec 2022 19:23 #258622 by grl
Ahhhhhh - dug into the source code of xhc-hb04.tcl and found the problem:

Out of a personal habit and because the config wizard does it also I used uppercase letters for all the keywords in the ini.

But xhc-hb04.tcl is case sensitive for all its keywords and expects them in lowercase.

So no matter what I used for mpg_accels - it was not used at all because I wrote MPG_ACCELS instead of mpg_accels.

After correcting that everything works as expected....

@andypugh: a thousand thanks for helping!

regards
Lukas

PS: perhaps that should be part of the readme or documentation that - contrary to the way the wizard works - every keyword has to be lowercase. Where's the best place for a feature request to add that little information? As an issue on github perhaps?

More
06 Dec 2022 01:31 #258652 by andypugh
Yes, raise it as an issue. Or, even better, as a pull-request if you can?
(ie. make the changes yourself and then we can merger them)

More
07 Dec 2022 13:16 #258804 by grl
Raised an issue on github which was closed half an hour later with a much more elegant solution by removing the case sensitivity.
Unfortunately I'm not that firm with tcl that I could have suggested a similar elegant solution....

Thanks for the help!

Lukas
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds