ini file SPINDLE documentation

More
09 Jan 2023 12:28 - 09 Jan 2023 19:44 #261346 by jrbloom
I'm busy porting my Gantry CNC Router from Mach3 to linuxcnc. I have the axis/joint configuration working correctly offline (7i92 connected, but no machine, and using simulated home/limit switches).

This is an AvidCNC Router, with a basic Spindle driven through PWM (via 7i92). No index, or encoder. No Reverse rotation.

Since the spindle is air cooled, it has a minimum speed of 6000 RPM (Max 24k). To get the best resolution on the PWM range, the VFD is configured so that the minimum PWM yields 6000, instead of 0. I would like to replicate this on linuxcnc.

I'm trying to work out what the minimum INI config is, but can't find any description of the supported SPINDLE entries in the Docs. There is a section in the Wiki that concentrates on the HAL spindle config, but nothing on the ini file.

Can anyone point me at a good source of info, that lists the available SPINDLE ini file options?
Last edit: 09 Jan 2023 19:44 by jrbloom.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2023 23:38 #261507 by andypugh
Which docs are you looking at? The spindle INI entries are listed here in the 2.9 docs
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/config/ini-co...:ini:sec:spindle-num

There are no built-in [SPINDLE] entries in 2.8, though some HAL files (including wizard-generated ones) will reference INI entries that they create themselves.

If you need to output 0V to get 6000rpm then you can use some HAL logic to achieve this. One way would be with a "lincurve" component with points (0,0) (6000, 0) (24000, 100) and a PWM set to be full-scale at 100.

Also, the spindle HAL pins are all listed here:
linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/man/man9/motion.9.html

More
12 Jan 2023 09:09 #261670 by jrbloom
Thanks andypugh.

I am currently using 2.8.4, so that explains the lack of docs. I did use a wizard to create the original config to give me something to refer to, and was seeing a few SPINDLE entries for configuring PID. Your explanation (that these are just feeding directly to the hal, and not predefined ini variables) helps.

Is there any way to tell axis or gmoccapy to omit the spindle reverse button from the GUI? Similar question for coolant controls which have no meaning on a woodworking router. I read something in the gmocappy docs about replacing the spindle panel completely, which is my fallback, but could see nothing similar for axis. Not a killer, but would be nice to have the GUI reflect my machine more closely.

More
13 Jan 2023 00:11 #261757 by andypugh

Is there any way to tell axis or gmoccapy to omit the spindle reverse button from the GUI? Similar question for coolant controls which have no meaning on a woodworking router.

If your HAL file does not mention the coolant controls then Axis won't display the buttons. 
I don't think it understand unidirectional spindles, though. 

You should be able to manually hide the reverse button with a .axisrc or USER_COMMAND_FILE though: linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/gui/axis.html#_axisrc

The following user(s) said Thank You: jrbloom

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds