3040Z-DQ Y axis working in stepconfig, not in program

More
23 Aug 2023 12:39 #278787 by StoneAgeSkillz
Hi,
i cant figure out the right config of the Y axis. The forums suggest enable pin inversion, but there is no enable pin in my config. I attempted to import Mach3, which did nothing and it put me back to the first page of Stepconf. So, no way out there. I ended up copying the Mach config by hand from Mach3 config tab to Stepconf. Stepconf test works, program does not. Inverting Y step or dir, or both has no effect in program.

Configuration:
1 - spindle CW (DIR in Mach3, does not matter - its actualy enable)
2 - X step
3 - X dir (inverted)
4 - Y step
5 - Y dir
6 - Z step
7 - Z dir
8 - unused
9 - unused
10 - home Z
11 - home X
12 - home Y
13 - ESTOP inv.
14 - unused
15 - PROBE inv.
16 - unused
17 - SPINDLE PWM

When i try to jog, X and Z are moving just fine, but Y just steps one at the time. Yes, i found this issue in the stepper diagnostics, subsection 1.1.1 , which i gave a try and the axis ended not moving at all.

Can someone tell me what the hell is happening here and hot to fix that, because i want to give linuxcnc a try.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2023 12:59 - 23 Aug 2023 13:16 #278790 by Aciera
Can you please attach .ini and .hal files from your machine configuration folder?
When you say 'program does not' do you mean jogging from the linuxcnc user interface or when running a gcode program?

[edit]
Also have a look at post #55 of this thread on a french forum. Shows the stepconf screenshots for, what seems to be, the same machine.
www.usinages.com/threads/cnc-3040z-dq-ai...ion-linuxcnc.109743/
Last edit: 23 Aug 2023 13:16 by Aciera.

More
25 Aug 2023 10:01 #278919 by StoneAgeSkillz
Thank you for your reply and sorry for the reply delay, i had night shifts... Anyway:

I did not try program (GCODE) as i want to setup the router first (endstops, homing, probe...) and jogging Y axis didnt work.
Note that i didnt got to calibrate axis, so the steps might be off, since i did not get pass to get all axis working.

Thank you for your help.

More
25 Aug 2023 16:18 - 25 Aug 2023 16:25 #278937 by Aciera
So as a first suggestion I would try with increased timing values:
Step Time: 5000
Step Space: 5000

[edit]
Just noticed that you have set the axis length to 0.002mm for the Y axis. I'm not familiar with the stepconf tool but I think it's likely because your Home Switch Location is set outside of your 'Table Travel'.

Note the MIN_LIMIT and MAX_LIMIT values in the [JOINT_1] section of your ini file.[JOINT_1]
TYPE = LINEAR
HOME = 0.0
MIN_LIMIT = -0.001
MAX_LIMIT = 0.001

Last edit: 25 Aug 2023 16:25 by Aciera.

More
26 Aug 2023 07:35 #278997 by StoneAgeSkillz
That was it, i changed the min/max in the .ini and it works. The question why Stepconf edited all axis but Y remains.

Anyway: Thank you very very much.

More
30 Aug 2023 08:57 #279357 by StoneAgeSkillz
I have another question: Is there some magic involved in endstops? They work in Mach, but i cant get them to work in linuxcnc.

They are located at X min, Y max, Z max. I cant get them to trigger. Is there some hidden diagnostics screen like in Mach3?

More
30 Aug 2023 09:12 #279358 by Aciera
Try the 'halshow' tool:
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/hal/halshow.html

In the Axis GUI you can launch it in the menu 'Machine'->'Show Hal Configuration'

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds