Jogging not working on basic setup

More
14 Aug 2024 19:08 #307731 by amitsa
I'm new to LinuxCNC and hobbyist machining.  For some reason, jogging isn't working on my 3 Axis setup. I feel like I'm just missing one critical configuration but can't figure it out.  I got homing to work from the Axis GUI, but jogging doesn't work. 

I've posted my INI files and HAL files.  I've only included X axis configurations for brevity.  Any tips ?

System Details
* Raspberry Pi 5 
* LinuxCNC 2.9.3
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2024 19:15 #307733 by tommylight
Attach the proper files, what are we supposed to do with crippled files?

More
14 Aug 2024 19:30 #307736 by amitsa
I posted the original hal and INI files.  But I'm not sure if there are other files you were referring to.  

Right now the files are for a 2 AXIS setup with a pair of Y joints.  I'm just trying to get jogging to work for these axis' before adding the Z axis.  
Attachments:

More
14 Aug 2024 19:39 #307738 by tommylight
Now the files are OK, the first round they were redacted and actually had a written line claiming that.
Files seem OK, so it should work, but i know it will not, forgot why as it was a long while ago, but i did manage to get it working, i think, i will have to check the configs of some small machines that only use 2 axis, later.

More
14 Aug 2024 20:30 #307740 by COFHAL
In the file. Ini include KEYBOARD_JOG=1

More
14 Aug 2024 20:51 #307746 by rodw
You need to follow the example for a MPG under hardware examples

More
14 Aug 2024 22:09 #307751 by amitsa
Thanks for the replies. @rodw Is the Gantry Panel example something you had in mind for an MPG ?(github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master...try/gantry_panel.hal)

Also I did some more investigation on the issue. I diffed all the pins before and after I click on the jog increment for the X axis. These are the pins that changed:

`motion.jog-is-active` : FALSE → TRUE
`motion.in-position` : TRUE → FALSE.
`joint.0.vel-cmd` : 0 → -0
* The sign changed, even though the magnitude is 0.
`joint.0.kb-jog-active` : FALSE → TRUE
`joint.0.in-position` : TRUE → FALSE
`joint.0.free-pos-cmd` : 0 → -2e+99
* I think clicking on the "continous" selection causes a big number.
`joint.0.free-tp-enable` : FALSE → TRUE

The problem is that I'm only routing `joint.0.motor-pos-cmd` to `stepgen.0.position-cmd`. But after seeing this I realized that maybe I should conditionally route `joint.0.free-pos-cmd` to stepgen, if the free planner (aka jogging) is selected.

More
14 Aug 2024 22:15 #307753 by amitsa
Is the motion planner (used for G-Code) and free planner (for jogging) two separate components of motmod ?

If so then that might explain why `joint.0.motor-pos-cmd` doesn't change from clicking on the AXISGUI jogging buttons.  

More
15 Aug 2024 20:27 #307836 by amitsa
Nevermind my last 2 comments. The problem was I was not adjusting the jogging velocity slider in the AXIS GUI. Classic example of "not reading the manual" :/
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds