Modbus VFD startup delay?

More
01 Sep 2024 02:10 #309122 by spumco
Just for fun I thought I'd try to use modbus - specifically gs2_vfd - to control my mill spindle.  VFD is a GS3 from Automation Direct, currently using 0-10v.

After some config problems (tty permissions), the USB-RS-485 adapter and LCNC are sort-of talking to the VFD.

I'm getting 'failed to set register - communication timed out' errors, but I think I have a more serious problem...

The way I've set up my electrical system, when estop is asserted, all the drives and VFD have no mains power.  24vdc is present for all sensors, Mesa, and so forth, but no drive bus power.

Until I de-assert estop, the VFD is dead and can't communicate with LCNC - so LCNC shuts down due to a 'no response' error.  I got around that for testing by taking it out of estop and energizing the contactors (having bypassed some HAL safety logic) and then starting LCNC.

Which got me thinking... is there a way to delay LCNC trying to communicate with the VFD until after I de-assert estop?

I'm not willing to change my estop scheme to permit power to the VFD when estop is asserted.  And the VFD has no separate logic power input like some servo drives.

Putting the 'loadusr Wn...' in the postgui file didn't do the trick.  I don't take it out of estop until the GUI is up and stable.

There's no point in trying to troubleshoot the read/write unless I can force LCNC to wait until after I de-assert estop.  Anyone have a thought on this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2024 14:51 #309154 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Modbus VFD startup delay?
There are probably ways to start the modbus component and the associated hal file through a custom Mcode but I don't see how you would be able to restart the modbus connection after an estop event.
It seems that this should really be handled in the modbus component itself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco

More
01 Sep 2024 21:15 #309170 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic Modbus VFD startup delay?
Thanks.  I'm not going down the component editing rabbit-hole, so I'll stick with the existing analog control.

More
02 Sep 2024 01:20 #309179 by COFHAL
Replied by COFHAL on topic Modbus VFD startup delay?
I don't quite understand your problem. I control my VFD via MODBUS and when communication is lost an error message appears, but once communication is re-established everything returns to normal. The error you describe would only appear if at the start of LNC there was no communication with the VFD. If I disconnect the power supply to the VFD only the error message appears, but once I re-establish it everything returns to normal.

More
02 Sep 2024 01:32 #309180 by COFHAL
Replied by COFHAL on topic Modbus VFD startup delay?
Let me clarify, I am using the VFDMOD component with a USB to 485 converter and MESA MODBUS through the RS422 port of the MESA cards, and that error that you describe, that is, LCNC shuts down at startup only if there is no communication with the VFD when it is starting up. Once LCNC starts and if there are subsequently communication problems with the VFD, it only tells me that there is an error but does not shut down.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds