How to setup 2 PCI Parallel Ports on LinuxCNC 2.8.4?

More
17 Sep 2024 00:47 - 17 Sep 2024 00:57 #310285 by MomoFab
Hi at all,I installed LinuxCNC 2.8.4 on an old PC (Asrock M68PV-GS, Athlon II X2 250).
As the jitter values ​​are very bad with standard installation and I only use parallel ports, I changed the kernel

uname -a   >>   Linux CNC 4.19.195-rtai-amd64...

I previously used LinuxCNC 2.7 and defining the 2 paports in etc/modprobe.d/alsa-case.conf:

alias parport_low level parport_pc
options parport_pc io=0xe480, 0xe880 irq=7,11,auto

But that no longer works with version 2.8 and I get error messages about parallel ports when I start LinuxCNC.
For testing purposes, I added these lines to etc/modprbe.d/ath9k_htc.conf.

I ran the console command

sudo modprobe -a parport_pc

from the >documentation< , which immediately activated the ports and then allowed the machine to be tested successfully
and without errors.
When I restarted the PC, the settings disappeared again.

Can you please help me configure the ports permanently?

Thank you in advance, Yves.
Last edit: 17 Sep 2024 00:57 by MomoFab. Reason: Format

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2024 19:53 #310341 by Todd Zuercher
I've used multiple parallel port configs with Linuxcnc for years and have never had to do anything like what you are describing. I think you might be making this more difficult than it needs to be. (Often using as many as 3 parallel ports.)

For me all I've ever done is plug in the parallel port card(s) into a PCI slot, and then looked up what port address was assigned to them using "lspci -v". Then used those addresses to to assign the ports in the parport driver config line of the hal file.

Now, that is assuming there are no issues with weird unsupported parallel port cards. I have found PCIe cards in particular to often be problematic, but I have been able to use some of those as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, MomoFab

More
18 Sep 2024 00:43 #310350 by MomoFab
Hi,

There are 2 identical cheap Chinese PCI parallel port cards, maybe problematic, I can't judge that.
All I know is that they worked under LinuxCNC 2.7, so why not from version 2.8 onwards.
Of course I also get the addresses of the ports using lspci -v.

I entered these values ​​into the *.hal file, but nothing happened.

Since I want the ports to be active when the PC boots up instead of when LinuxCNC starts,
I decided to enter the configuration of these in any existing *.conf file in the etc/modprobe.d directory.
This is easy to do, the "*.hal" remains untouched, which is what I personally prefer.

lspci -v is an important command, it provides data, but only shows the presence of the computer components,
not whether they are sufficiently configured.

Whether it was due to the "problematic" PCI cards or the swapping of the kernel,
the problem was that the module for the parallel ports was not loaded in the kernel.

lsmod provides information about which modules are loaded, "parport_pc" was not there.

I don't know if there is a simpler or even the right solution,
it works for me and maybe it will help others with the same problem.

Remedy: sudo nano /etc/modules-load.d/modules.conf

Entry: parport_pc

Reboot system
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds