Control Panel Design for PlasmaC

More
27 Sep 2020 08:14 #183941 by rodw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2020 08:25 - 27 Sep 2020 08:26 #183942 by pinder

Thanks, I am struggling trying to learn Fusion 360 at the moment. Its quite different to what I'm used to.

I've only got a couple more parts to draw and we'll be done aside from making sure the cutouts are all correct. I roughly drew a monitor today so I just need to make the monitor mount and the back.

I don't mind sharing the files when I get a bit further. If you use F360, maybe you can help I can share it. I think I can share it with other users.

The wireless pendant is from XHC but a more industrial version so it does not use USB. It has a hard wired receiver that plays with Mesa cards perfecctly.

yeah i use fusion 360.
whenever it feels right.

One day I will start a project for a wireless industrial grade diy pendant for linuxcnc.

It just need a microcontroller to transfer inputs to another microcontroller via 433mhz or whatever suits you.
then 2nd MCU can talk to linuxcnc via USB or via mesa boards.
According to me
Usb is still pretty fast for IO pins.
Connection is reliable enough as it powers keyboards and mice.
Last edit: 27 Sep 2020 08:26 by pinder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
27 Sep 2020 12:54 - 27 Sep 2020 12:59 #183971 by AgentWD40

One day I will start a project for a wireless industrial grade diy pendant for linuxcnc.

It just need a microcontroller to transfer inputs to another microcontroller via 433mhz or whatever suits you.
then 2nd MCU can talk to linuxcnc via USB or via mesa boards.

I don't know about industrial grade but I've used an arduino platform called jeenodes in the past for radio comms.
Last edit: 27 Sep 2020 12:59 by AgentWD40.

More
27 Sep 2020 13:08 #183974 by pinder

I don't know about industrial grade but I've used an arduino platform called jeenodes in the past for radio comms.

By industrial grade i mean robust.
Jeenodes are quite old.
now arduino have come very far.
modules for various frequencies from china are cheap.

you shoudl try 433mhz modules
nrf24l01+ modules if someday you get time.

More
27 Sep 2020 13:13 #183975 by tommylight
Edited the title to lower case and added a C at the end, after all we are all using PlasmaC for plasma! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: pinder

More
27 Sep 2020 13:38 - 27 Sep 2020 13:40 #183979 by rodw
This is as far as I got tonight but basically just got the back cover to go.

So a brace bolted to the monitor's 75 x 75mm Vesa mount holds it in place. It is then held in place by bolts through the case via two alignment slots.
This brace has some bolt holes to mount a 7i73 on the right (two are visible). The square hole on the left is to mount the Odroid to. I think I will need to make the enclosure deeper to allow room for the Odroid so I will end up with the enclosure being about 100 mm deep. I'd love to make it shallower but then the console section below the monitor would need to be made larger to give it some room. The back will be held on by some nutserts and I want to try to use some keyhole shaped holes so loosening 4 bolts will let the front just slide off to be serviced. The back will have some VESA bolt patterns to mount it to a monitor stand or a post as shown by Pinder..

If anybody can find a good CAD file of an Odroid H2, please give me a link. The ones I found had mounting brackets and stuff on them so I just measured up the holes.

EDIT: Maybe the Odroid can be mounted a bit lower above the MPG to keep it slim..
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Sep 2020 13:40 by rodw.

More
27 Sep 2020 14:25 - 27 Sep 2020 15:36 #183982 by pinder

If anybody can find a good CAD file of an Odroid H2, please give me a link. The ones I found had mounting brackets and stuff on them so I just measured up the holes.

EDIT: Maybe the Odroid can be mounted a bit lower above the MPG to keep it slim..

Any reason why you use odroid?
Last edit: 27 Sep 2020 15:36 by pinder.

More
27 Sep 2020 20:28 #184027 by rodw

Any reason why you use odroid?[/quote]

Well, they are a full PC in a really small small form factor that have good latency and 2 x NIC so in my view perfect for Mesa and an enclosure like this. BeagleBrainz has a full ISO that includes the network driver thats not in the normal distros yet (too new)

More
27 Sep 2020 21:14 #184057 by tommylight
I tried once to build something like this, it did not end well.... :blush:
Attachments:

More
27 Sep 2020 21:23 - 27 Sep 2020 21:26 #184059 by pinder

I tried once to build something like this, it did not end well.... :blush:

It is too dependent on shape and color of buttons, getting them is hard. Other replacements will ruin the experience.
Instead you can use 24inch monitor in vertical mode and customize a VCP like that.
for the plastic enclosure, You can mill that out in wood. I can model that if you want.
Last edit: 27 Sep 2020 21:26 by pinder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds